Question regarding my tendon transfer operation

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Question regarding my tendon transfer operation

Post by diargasm »

My tendon transfer worked out well, but I was just wondering if anyone else that has had it is able to extend both the wrist and fingers? Whenever I attempt to do the wrist first, the fingers do not extend. Whenever I extend the fingers, it brings the wrist along with it. I think my hand PT said that the op was done "tight", but besides that he said it was a job well done. Does anyone know if streching the fingers back may help? Or is it too dangerous?
Rocket Ray

Re: Question regarding my tendon transfer operation

Post by Rocket Ray »

I'm glad to hear your transfer went well. I am still trying to get my work insurance carrier to approve mine. Was it painful? How long were you laid up?
How often do you have to go to therapy now? How long will you be out of commission?
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

sorry for not replying in such a long time. The operation was not painful, it was just a real nuisance to have to have a flail arm and a giant heavy cast on it for 6 weeks. I went to therapy for a little over a month.

I'd still like to know how well others have had their tendon transfer ops.
bearlee36

Post by bearlee36 »

hi there,

i had a tendon transfer several years ago now. before the op i had no flex at all, after the op and wearing a freddie krugger like device with elasticated rope to pullback my fingers and constantly exercise them, plus P.T. it was a great success. i only have partial use of my thumb and the flex in my fingers isn't as strong as i'd like, but it makes a massive difference to my life and i have a vice like grip now after years of exercise.
i was told not to bend my fingers back too much at first as this can be VERY DANGEROUS so be careful, i felt the same as you wanting to bend them back and stretch my fingers and feel the burn but it will come just perciveer with it and all should be fine with the sound of things. i hope it goes well for you let me know how you go on i am intrested. i now have a scar from this operation from the back of my hand to just about 2 inches away from my elbow and on the underside its about 6 inches long.did you have it attached to your middle 2 fingers? and bobbles attached to the stitching?

all the best Lee.
87gw@earthlink.net

Post by 87gw@earthlink.net »

My accident was in 1976 and I have had a number of transfers from my leg and other fingers to my thumb and fingers. After a while you will be able to move them as you always have. I am however not able to deal witht the pain or can I find anyone to to help. It's time to give up on that.
motoxxxracer_34

Post by motoxxxracer_34 »

do you have to wait for your nerves to grow back to have this done? i had repair surgery may 04 and was told i should get 70 degrees of movement in shoulder and possibly elbow, but not pass elbow. So far can only shrug a lil bit, and i have some feeling on my skin between my shoulder and elbow. Can i have this procedure yet to be able to curl elbow? am i a candatite for tendon transfer to get my hand and fingers to flex and work?