Filing for SSD / SSI Question from UBPN Please help

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Filing for SSD / SSI Question from UBPN Please help

Post by Kath »

Bumping this up. I have received very few replies and would like to prepare to meet with SSA regarding the changes they are preparing to make.

thanks
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
kalliesmom

Post by kalliesmom »

My 6 year old daughter was just denied after fighting for 4 years with an attorney.
We had gone through the first few denials and then went before a judge. The judge requested more testing since their expert doctor testifying was an internal medicine/cardiac Dr. Our attorney proved this Dr had no experience so they sent us to a indigent care family practice Dr for an actual exam. I took full advantage of the situation and was able to impress this dr with a folder I put together of info about the injury and each of the procedures she has had ect ect. He gave a pretty good report but the judge still denied us.
So that is where we are now

Jessica
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know much about SSI/SSD. Do you apply for it if you don't have coverage? Who would be eligible to apply? How does it work? Just curious.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

please respond

We really need some information so that we can bring it to SSA.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am still curious to know, how does SSI affect/effect the settlements that a child with BPI has? will they not be awarded SSI because they have the settlement from a lawsuit already?
jeni

Post by jeni »

Kath,

My family just started this process 2 days ago...so there is not much I can say about our experience yet. Except that when I called and said my daughter has a "Perminant Brachial Plexus Injury from Birth" the other end got really quiet....and said "how long is she going to take to heal?" (oh my)
I said Perminant means "forever" then I said it's a SPINAL CORD injury. (my little one has avulsions) she said Oh OK, I know what that is. Needless to say I know this is going to be an uphill battle.....Awareness and education are key
I wish I could be more help
Kath

Post by Kath »

Jeni
Thanks for posting. It will be a battle when I finally gave up and could not work anymore I had a battle because I functioned at a high level most of my life. They did not get it... I was told I had to be treated as if I had a new injury!!! Amazing but true. I sent them everything I could from this website and also sent information from other medical papers.
Last time I had to have PT the doctor made the mistake of writting Erb's Palsy and insurance at first denied me... Case worker told me I was "cured".. of course I ask how come I could not touch my face, feed myself with that hand or supinate if I am cured... I got the therapy... LOL...

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Kath

Post by Kath »

Null
As far as I know ( I am not an expert on SSA) SSI is based on family income and financial need.

SSD is for those of us who have worked and can no longer work.

I think you should check with your lawyer if you have a settlement.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, you can apply for it if you have insurance or not. SSI/SSD is a financial stipen and it doesn't matter if you have insurance. What you're trying to prove to SSA is that you have a disability, etc, and need financial help the rest of your life or a period of time when you're not working or if it's a small child, assistance to help take care of that child. HOpe this is helpful to you.
Shelley
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kath, SSI is done by financial need and income so to speak. There is a means test they do for your assets & income and then it is done by the disability. SSD is your social security, if you have any to fall back on. That is not done by income and assets. You can not collect as a child under SSI but you can under SSD, if the child is diabled. It's very confusing and detailed. If the child is collecting the means testing is done on the parents income. Hope that helps.

Shelley