Any Athletes out there?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
BIGJAVSMOM

Re: Any Athletes out there?

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

wow!! that is a great comment wendyz.
CovelOne

Post by CovelOne »

How do you or your child do with baseball and the glove? My 6y/o son is playing his second year of baseball. His injury is a L0BPI and he is (of course) right handed. His left wrist is quite weak and he doesnt have the rom on that arm either.

So, he is currently catching with his right hand, taking the ball out with his left, throws the glove down and transfers the ball from the left to right to throw. He is getting better at it but it does take more time. And sometimes, he has trouble getting the glove off quick enough. Is there a better way? Or does this sound like the best solution? I'm afraid he will get frustrated doing it this way.

We did get out an old glove and had him try it on his left hand, but without the range on that side he said, "if its real high I would have to push my left arm up with my right arm" True.
Just wondering your opinion/experiences with this.
Lorie
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I play softball and I have a ROBPI so I catch and throw with my left hand. I have found it best to leave the ball in my glove while I take the glove off. The glove is cradled in my right arm and then I quickly take the ball out of the glove and throw. Does that make sence? If not let me know and I will try to clairify.

Best wishes to your son! I hope he continues to play ball!

Amy 18 from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Amy, Yes, that made sense. I'll try to get him to do it that way. Have a nice Memorial Day everyone!
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

Hi, I'm speaking for my father, who is LOBPI and is 39 years old. He always participated in sports. Today he even coaches football and baseball. He taught me how to play softball very well, and he has helped my brother become an awesome catcher. I personally think that if your son wants to participate in sports to let him, because it will teach be fearless at pursuing what he wants in life, thereby giving him unlimited opportunities. My dad uses his injured arm so much that it's very difficult to tell that he's even got an injury.
Courtney, 14 daughter of Steve L.