emg

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
njbirk

Re: emg

Post by njbirk »

Judy,
I would rather do almost anything than have an emg. I had one just a few weeks ago. The worst for me is the day after when I can feel in every muscle just where the needles went in. Part of the problem is that while we may have some ennervation in our muscles, it is not normal ennervation and so when they are doing the test they poke around a LOT. If the neurologist is inexperienced it seems to hurt more, because the readings they are getting are abnormal. That was the word the neurologist gave me as he was doing the test -- 'lots of abnormalities'. DUH.

I don't think EMLA cream will help for several reasons. The pain is deep not on the surface and the muscles can't be numbed because you must be an active participant in the test and attempt as much voluntary movement of the muscles to get an accurate reading.

Francine did indeed help me with the day-after pain. She is an amazingly talented and gifted woman. Thank you again Francine.

Nancy
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Thanks Nancy

I thought I was such a baby... I had both arms done

My right obpi never had a needle in it before.... I was so miserable aft the right one!.... I never bruse...just this fair skin of mine must be tough but after that test I had a couple of them... even the PT was shocked... but you explained it well and now I don't feel like such a baby....

Kath
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nancy, please e-mail me and let me know what you did the day after. i am having the test done on the 22nd.Tina, I guess i better start drinking now to prepare for it. George ,you gave me a good laugh. Thanks everyone for the advice.
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I emailed you.
Nancy
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Well, I just got a call that my appointment was cancelled and they want me to come in tommorrow instead. I guess I better start drinking.Thanx Nancy for the e-mail.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Poor Jude....
You don't even have time to bite all your nail down... I hate when they spring things like that on me.....

I think you should go out to dinner afterwards....
Maybe get a chocolate bar... if you don't cry !!!

Kath