any way to decrease pain of emg ?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

any way to decrease pain of emg ?

Post by admin »

we just found out my son has to have a repeat emg .he is flipping out because he said it was the worst pain he has ever had...Has anyone done anything that helped reduce the pain during that test? Can he be sedated?
sheree
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: any way to decrease pain of emg ?

Post by cbe411 »

I have had valium before. In the begining EMGs were hard for me too, the arm was VERY sensitive. I was given valium a few hours before and it kinda made me sleepy but I was still awake and could TRY to make the muscle move as the doctor asked.... jsut a thought.

COurt xx
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thank you I will request that
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Request that they use pediatric needles. They do make a big difference when having the test. I went to a new neurologist and asked for them and was told there was no such thing, I went thru with the test and it hurt. Next emg I went back to the neurologist that I had before and what a difference. He used smaller needles and it was a breeze.
worried mom

Post by worried mom »

oh wow what a great tip thank you so much!!