Anyone my age

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Anyone my age

Post by Kath »

Welcome to all the new Posters

I am Kathleen ROBPI and found UBPN 5 years ago and before that I thought I had a very rare birth injury called Erb's Palsy. What a shock and how great it has been for me. I finally met others just like me and I am able to share not only my joys but my frustrations and life experiences with those who truly understand what I am talking about.
I am on the Board of Directors of UBPN now and have learned so much about our injury. Most of all I know now what to expect from my physicians because I am armed with information about the extent of my own personal injury.

Please send your name and address to Nancy@ubpn.org so you can get Outreach Publication. Our Spring edition will be in the mail soon. It has all of the Camp 2005 information in it. By the way,Camp is not just for kids and parents it is for Adults too!

I did not want to go to the last one and am still amazed at what a great time I had.
Camp 2005 will be in Chevy Chase Maryland just 10 minutes from the Capitol.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I ma 29 now, but did Ballet and Figure skated until last year. I swim and bike as well....
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
PinkFlamingo

Post by PinkFlamingo »

My name is Brittney (CW1992's daughter). I am 13 and live in Houston. I have played basketball, and T-ball and I currently do soccer, swimteam, and running. I might try out for volleyball at my school next fall. I don't let my injury stop me from playing sports I want to play. I am very athletic and I have found that there is a way to do almost anything if you work at it! For example in volleyball I can serve overhand by balancing the ball on top of my injured arm's hand (can't supinate) then throwing it up and hitting it with my other! Any sport is possible. If you pick a sport that you want to do just work at it and you'll be able to do it even if you don't do it the same way as everyone else! Pick what you want to do and make it happen!

-Brittney
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Dear Pink Flamigo
AKA -
Brittney
Welcome to the message boards. You keep on trying everything...
I use to try things just see if I could do them... not because I wanted to ... and I think I was lucky because I tried a lot of things I might not have tried to do if I were not OBPI...
Nice to see you posting I hope more teenagers begin to post because you are great role models for the little ones.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello all...I agree with Kath about you teens being role models. In addition, I wanted to add that I have learned alot from every teen post I read as well as gain courage to try new things and tackle something I ALWAYS! thought I could/would never do.
Thanks alot to you teens who post.
See you all at Camp 2005,OK?
Carolyn J
LOBPI,age66 & proud to be!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Carolyn J,
It is really great that you can learn from the teens here. I like knowing that what I type here might help some one else. I hope that you continue to try new things and have fun doing it.
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
PinkFlamingo

Post by PinkFlamingo »

Hey Kath!

Thanks for welcoming me onto the board. I can't really be on a lot because of school, homework, and soccer three nights a week! I'll try to get my thoughts in when I can though =)! My mom is just now starting to let me post. She didn't let me read it when I was youger because she didn't want me to get the wrong idea or something about some of the posts. I like to read the boards and see all the opinions!

-Brittney
Kath

Post by Kath »

Brittney

Just like each injury is different so are the opinions and the way families deal with our injury. I got upset sometimes when I read the boards until I realized that each of us have very different ways of dealing with our injuries. But we can learn from each other. I love reading the teen posts because you now have each other. I was so happy to meet another OBPI to share my feelings with. I shared with my Mom of course when I was young but now that I am older I love having OBPI friends who understand when I make cracks and comments that other's don't get.

Glad you are finally old enough to post and Mom is letting you...
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Amy, Thanks ALOT for your message & encouragement. ALL teens who post are a very powerful influence. I am sooo very joyous that teens who post here have each other!
See you at Camp in September,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Carolyn,
I really hope that I can attend camp in September, but at this point I really don't know if I can make it because I will be just starting college. I my first day of class is the 6th. I really hope that I can make it because I would love to meet another bpi person face to face.

I hope that I can see you at camp,
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN