winged scapula

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMOM

winged scapula

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

can someone please tell me exactly what that is?
admin
Site Admin

Re: winged scapula

Post by admin »

The muscles around the shoulder blad are too weak or overstretched and they don't hold the shoulder blade against the wall of the body properly they stick out too much either during motion or when the arm is at rest. we have had quite alot of success treating this with TES and bracing - and stretching out the opposing muscles , and exercising the weak ones.
james

Post by james »

What is a winged scapula?

A winged scapula is a shoulder injury or condition in which the scapula or shoulder blade sticks out at the back, particular when pushing against something such as a wall.

What are the symptoms?

Winging of the scapular or shoulder blade.
Pain and limited shoulder elevation.
Difficulty in lifting weights.
Patients can complain of pressure on the scapular from a chair when sitting.
What causes a winged scapula?

A winged scapula is associated with damage or a contusion to the long thoracic nerve of the shoulder and / or weakness in the serratus anterior muscle. If the long thoracic nerve is damaged or bruised it can cause paralysis of the serratus anterior muscle and winging of the scapular or shoulder blade.

The serratus anterior muscle originates at the upper surface of the top 9 ribs and inserts along the whole length of medial (inside) border of the scapula (shoulder blade).

Search this forum, for that topic you wil find lots of info

BR James
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Thank you all. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. I don't always understand the medical jargon on some of the websites. Lamens terms are better. ;) By the way, what is TES?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TES - is a type of electrical stimulation - low level below the threshold that causes a muscle to actually contract. It can really help grow the weak and atrophied muscles - it has brought a lot of new abilities to Richard - he wears it through the night- Dr.Pape is the one who discovered this and you can find out more on her web site www.tascnetwork.net - you can also see a picture of my son's winging scapula and his new ability to control the muscles around his scapula after following the advice of Dr.Pape.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi there!
Our daughter is 15 months old and she too has a winging scapula. Her physio has suggested to try to get her to do some weight bearing exercises,but this is proving to be very difficult as she has better things she wants to do!!
I was wondering if TES is available in England,as this sounds as though it is working well for this condition 'over the pond'! Would love to hear from anyone who would be able to help answer my question. Clare.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

go www.tascnetwork.net and post the question to Dr.Pape on the who are you and what do you want to know message board - she is very busy and it sometimes takes a while for a response but you will get one - ask her if there is anyway to get this treatment over the pond .