Speech Therapy before 2 years old?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: Speech Therapy before 2 years old?

Post by admin »

Lisa D
"We were also told to stop using a sippy cup"...

How old was your daughter when they wanted to stop the sippy cup?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi.
I have a daughter with ROBPI, who is now 15 months old.I also have a six year old son who has got Verbal Dyspraxia.I know the problems and frustration that lack of speech can bring! Does your child get easily frustrated, and you are the only one who can understand them? If so, I would definately try MAKATON, it is a sign language used with speech to use alongside words, so if your child finds saying words difficult at least they can communicate with the signing side of things.My son was 3 years old when we took up the MAKATON, which was recommended by his speech therapist.He can now say most words (the signing has dropped off, he no longer uses it now), and everyone can understand him too.Great eh! Don't get stressed by the thought, it was the best thing we could have learned for our son,it stops all of the temper tantrums - which of course to us was frustration, to others it was bad behaviour. Let me know what you think and how you get on. Good luck. Clare x.
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

My son had speech therapy (eating therapy) from about 7 months old. He also could not breathe, eat and swallow correctly from birth on. He had extreme jaundice as a newborn because of this. He is four now and doing so well that he has been released from speech therapy for over a year. He is an extremely pickey eater. He is also very tall and very skinny. (wish that would rub off on me!LOL)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm, I think she was around 18 months or maybe 2 years when it was suggested (it's been awhile, she's nearly 5 but it was around when we first started noticing that she wasn't meeting speech milestones).

I found some ziploc disposal cups that have a place to put a straw (with rubber around it so it doesn't leak as much), or an opening for sipping (can be covered if you use the straw). I found them in the grocery store in the section for all those new disposal leftover containers. I'm not sure I've seen them recently, although now there are those cups that look like sippy, but that use a straw. I like the ziploc ones because the others are such a pain to clean!!! (But...they don't keep the drink cool like the others...)

The reason why we were told to stop the sippy is because you build different muscles and have different tongue placement when you use a straw, or drink straight from the cup, which helps the child with tongue placement for sounds.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi susan lyn,my son did hve chewing problems,he also had torticollis (sp)which he would hyperextend his head back to drink from bottle,we ended up buying special cups i called them nosey cups because the shape was when you tipped cup to drink there was a space where your nose went ill try to find the website,also we used a special right angled scooper spoon to help eat with,hes had speech for seriously 10 yrs,he talksfine now,it wasntjust speech they worked on but also auditory processing,paying attention,listiening to sentences and saying back right,,my son also is dx as pdd,autistic tendencys,adhd,anxietx,developmental delay,hes in a reg 3rd grade class with an aide,but recieves special edservices,,,ill open a whole other can of worms by saying he was 10lbs 13 ozs and apgars were 4 & 8,how i dont know when a baby is born not breathing or moving or anything how can they put 4 at i min at birth, covering their butt,,ill be quiet for now,because i do want this message posted,please lets not argue about stupid drs,thanks lol lin ps double billy lights at birth for severe jaundice..
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

It is obvious to me that parents of newborn BPI kids should be watching out for eating/breathing/ and swallowing problems. Extreme jaundice is very dangerous and can cause major problems for the child.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi but alot of jaundice is caused by difficult births too,not only looking out for breathing,speech and other physical problems.but the lack of oxygen when these children were being born.my son hashad alot of problems physical and mental
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lin,
thank you for sharing your experience with me. My heart goes out to you & your son.
I just bought a big book about speach therapy, and intend to read it cover to cover so I can keep up with her developement.

I don't know how delayed her 'delays' are/will be, but I am going to do every little thing I can to make a difference. We will continue to give this 'recovery' 200% of our effort. I cannot thank everyone enough for their support.

Thank you to everyone who sent their experience and advice.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I forgot to sign in, Lin, that was from me!
SusanLynn