BPI and Saxaphone

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
katep

Re: BPI and Saxaphone

Post by katep »

Peggy,

Aren't there bigger and smaller types of saxophones? Perhaps she could start on one of the smaller, lighter one (since she is still young).

Kate
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Yeah, Kate, I have to look into it, but I believe the alto sax is the smallest and that's what she wants to play. Emma's brother is sick, so I haven't had much time to do anything at all. Actually, they both are, but Emma made it to school and Joel did not. Joel is pretty sick.

Peggy
SKIerra9

Post by SKIerra9 »

Peggy,
sorry to hear Joel is sick. The alto sax is the smallest, size and weight (thats what i played). The next one up is really big, it was difficult for me to hold it for even a sjort time.
sierra
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

I have a question... It seems stupid, but momma always said it is more stupid not to ask... Is it possible to play a sax or other instrument if only one arm works. By works I mean that if the injured arm never has any function. My father is a jazz musician and I would love to be able to tell him that there is way that his babyboy will be able to play sax too. Can you have an instrument specially made, etc???
BrokenWingedAngel85

Post by BrokenWingedAngel85 »

Peggy,
How great that your daughter wants to take up music lessons. It may be difficult for her at first, she'll adapt if she really wants to play. Make sure you let her know there's a drummer from a band called Def leppard who only has one arm (he lost it in an accident), and that didn't stop him from being a professional drummer! My husband has been playing drums for 20 years, and that's what I remind people when they imply that Daniel will never be able to play. One thing I was thinking for the saxaphone, though, is maybe you could find a stand that could hold the sax in place for her so she could leave her affected arm free and just use her unaffected arm. Anyway, I'm happy for her and hopes everything works out.

Johanna
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Thanks for your input, Johanna. I appreciate it and Emma is really looking forward to it. We actually started with a "pocket sax" (it's small, like a recorder and suppose to have quite a range of sound; however, she's already blown the reed and we have to get some more--understand we live in the middle of nowhere, so I either have to order them or travel a ways to get them).
However, I'm sure we'll get to her "real sax" soon if she really wants to stay with it.

As to the question of an adapted sax, I really don't know, but it can't hurt to try to find out. If I run across anything, I'll post it.

AND..we would most definitely get a stand for Emma when she gets her bigger sax!

Thanks, all!
Peggy

dmom

Post by dmom »

Peggy,

I have played the sax since I was 8 years old, and all my siblings and several nephews also play sax. I would definitely encourage Danny to try it if he wanted to!

When well-maintained, the keys on a sax are very light and aren't hard to push. I suppose the difficulty might be if the piece is fast and the fingers had to move faster than he could handle. But we'll see!

I think it's good to let kids try things! You'll never know if they can do it if you don't give them the chance. I say go for it.

Good luck!
Janet