BPI and Saxaphone

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
PeggyUBPN

BPI and Saxaphone

Post by PeggyUBPN »

I posted on the OBPI message board about this, but wondered how many of you might have seen it or had some more to share:

My daughter, ROBPI, wants to play the saxaphone. I had great reservations and fear about her frustration level in being able to do this, but not wanting to discourage her from trying.
Pat, on the OBPI message board, actually is ROBPI and played! So, that was very encouraging to me.
Anyone else out the with a BPI play sax???

Peggy
CW1992

Re: BPI and Saxaphone

Post by CW1992 »

Hi Peggy,
Brittney plays the clarinet (kind of like the sax) but the sax would be heavier. Does the school offer you to be able to come in and try out the instruments? That's what they do at our school and we went from wanting to be a drummer, play a flute, or the trumpet, - ended up with a clarinet because that's what the instructors felt was best "matched" for her. Brittney didn't argue because she needed more experience with the drums (they want piano experience) could not get sound out of the trumpet, or the flute - hard for her arm.... but when she tried that clarinet it worked for her. It had to be a match of abilty and even though I wanted her to play a 'lighter to carry' instrument like the flute - she ended up being a clarinet player because that was what worked for her capabilities. I hope your daughter gets the chance to try some instruments out before y'all decide - sometimes what you think is what you want might not be the best until you try them. She might have a whole different opinion after playing different ones - Britt wanted to be a drummer - you just have to find the one that works. Private lessons I feel have helped so much and I recommend that with whatever instrument she decides on.
Hope I helped somehow,
Christy
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Christy,
I appreciate your input! Emma is only in 3rd grade; they don't offer the "trying out of instruments" until 5th grade. I think because her brother is in 5th and going for band has something to do with it.
I'm definitely going to go with private lessons and see how she does. She's determined, no doubt. If she doesn't get too frustrated, I think it will be great therapy for her--not to mention my families musical background, it would be nice to have another musician in the fold.

Thanks, again!
Peggy
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Oh Gosh Peggy - It is excellent therapy!!!! Britt worked so hard just to prove that she could keep up with the other kids and ended up passing them all and in Honors Band - the BPI determination I think. Her band instructor also kept reminding her to 'keep your elbow down' which made her more aware and so she tried harder. Her fingers got stronger - her posture improved - and her pride in herself for being able to play was really obvious. She was so proud tonight after her school concert - and of course I was just as proud as can be because she was right in there. Brittney started in 6th grade playing but got to choose in 5th before the end of the school year. I do believe you will have another musician in your family!!!! Happy squeaking sounds to you!!!
I know that Brittney squeaks and here's a funny - One night while she was practicing she just kept squeaking over and over - pets were running for cover and I wanted to too! I asked her to please move the reed up or maybe go outside and practice and she (so stubborn) says she is not sqyeaking that those are just high notes....(they were sqeaks!) and I disagreed... . The next day I got a letter from her private lesson teacher (provoked by Britt - (the little squeaker) saying Dear Mrs... Britt is not squeaking - those are actually real notes! (I still disagree - they were squeaks - LOL - and we laugh about it. Kind of cracked me up. Can't believe she had her teacher write me a note! I should have written her teacher back and said - but were you here when the pets were running for cover and my ears were in pain? Just a funny - and good luck to you and I hope things work out great.
Christy
SKIerra9

Post by SKIerra9 »

Peggy, i am 17 and for four years i played the saxaphone. I start first with the calinet however that seemed to be more difficult becuase of the position my hand was in ( i was hard for me to turn it the right way so the holes were covered)but then i moved on to the saxaphone, my goal in the first place, and that worked out great! i loved it and i had no problem (sometimes my arm/shoulder got tired, and i'd just prop it up on the back of a chair to rest it) I think it's great your daughter wants to try saxaphone, good luck, and if you have any more questins feel free to ask. -sierra
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Christy,
That is a great story and I'm sure my pets will be running for cover, as well!
My oldest sister played sax for years (she's in San Antonio now, far away from us), other sister played the flute, my father played guitar, I played bass, my husband plays harmonica and my son is working on keyboards/piano (he's 21 months older than Emma). My sister that played sax suggested that Emma learn how to read music before she started and that would give her a head start, so now every evening Joel (my son) is teaching Emma how to read music! Emma's birthday is toward the end of this month--maybe we'll have lined up sax lessons to surprise her!
Thanks, again!!

Peggy
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Sierra,

That is really great! Good idea about propping it up when your tired, too.
What did you do if you were tired while you were playing with the band? Did you have something to prop the sax on while you were performing?

Emma doesn't have the sax yet, but maybe by the end of the month.

Peggy
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Louise,

We will get that sax, I just wanted to be sure we weren't setting Emma up for total frustration before we went ahead with it. To know that others have mastered it is so helpful and I KNOW she has the WILL to try. She is too young for school to offer it, so we have to find private lessons (and I live out in the boonies, so there is nothing close by me). I have to find a place and sign her up...but I can do that!

Peggy
SKIerra9

Post by SKIerra9 »

Peggy,
If i remember correctly, when i got tired i think i would just rest the sax on my leg, or hold it with my stronger arm. It's also always strapped to your neck so if you get tired and let go, your sax isn't going to go anywere. good luck!
sierra