Lidoderm patches?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
msthomas

Lidoderm patches?

Post by msthomas »

I have just put on my first lidocaine patch this monring and I think it is helping. Has anyone else tried these? My doc gave them to me as samples. It is 5% lidocaine and is intended for shingles patients but for the burning under my collar bone and one spot in the shoulder it seems to be helping. You can apply for 12 hours on and 12 off and use up to 3 patches at a time.
Just wanted to see if this might help anyone else :)
Shanna
Danzia

Re: Lidoderm patches?

Post by Danzia »

Shanna,
I use lidoderm patches every day. I'm extremely hypersensitive over the surgical site for a TOS release. I wear it for about 16-18 hours and then take it off in the early morning.

It's helped me tremendously. As well as diminishing some of the pain, it helps to protect the area. My hypersensitivity has also been relieved by about 30%. It's a great tool.
Gillian
msthomas

Post by msthomas »

Gillian,
Thank you for letting me know I don't HAVE to worry about the time frames the box gives. I really think it helps with some specific pain areas that I have.
I don't want to sound dumb but what is the TOS op that you mentioned?
Shanna
Danzia

Post by Danzia »

I had a thoracic outlet release (I have thoracic outlet syndrome). I had an anterior scalenectomy. Basically they took out one of the muscles in my neck to release the compression on my brachial plexus. Turned out that that muscle was badly damaged and half of it was dead. So it's helped a lot with my shoulder pain, but not too much with function.

I'll take it :)
aerostar6

Post by aerostar6 »

I realize this is an old post. I was diagnosed with TOS and had a scalenectomy (front/middle neck muscle removed). I wear 3 lidoderm patches along my arm every night. These have helped me a great deal with my pain (which is worse at night and have improved my sleep tendencies.
Janelle54

Post by Janelle54 »

I used the patches for bone spurs I had in my neck. The wearing time varies depending on the doctor. My doctor believed in wearing them for 24 hours. I took them off for a shower and had them back on about 2 hours later. They really helped relive the pain. Other doctors believe in 12 on 12 off. There is no harm in the length of time you wear them.

I'll use them if my shoulders or neck bother me from the pressure and strain from my sling. I put one on before I go to bed. I found they really do help.

It's funny but since my accident I no longer seem to have bone spur issues. Guess my accident knocked the spurs right out of me.

Janelle