Travelling for Surgery?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
katep

Re: Travelling for Surgery?

Post by katep »

Peggy,

About changing flights: I've found this is extra hard to do if you buy the flights through Expedia, Travelocity or any broker. That is why I don't use Travelocity anymore! Sometimes I use them for figuring out which airline has nonstops/etc., (and not all airlines even use them) but then I always buy direct from the airline. I had one nightmare too many trying to change/cancel flights purchased through Travelocity.

Kate
mel1972

Post by mel1972 »

I've used traveolcity a lot, they often have the best prices. Never had a problem!
katep

Post by katep »

Mel,

Have you ever changed or cancelled your travelocity tickets? That's where I've had problems... not with the tickets themselves which are just fine, but when I had to cancel and reschedule a flight. Normally the airline gives you credit if you have to cancel, but these were special "web only" fares through Travelocity. Yes, they WERE a few bucks cheaper than the airline directly, but it turned out they were also subject to special Travelocity rules. If you buy tickets through Travelocity, you may have to go through their customer service, not the airline. My experience has been that airlines have much better customer service and are more interested in retaining loyal customers.

Kate
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Kate,

We had the ACR in Philadelphia in December 2004. The surgery was on a Monday (about 11:30 AM) and we stayed at the hotel that night with a post-op check first thing in the morning on Tuesday (we could just stop in and they slid us in at about 8 AM). We then immediately drove out of the parking lot and straight home for 5 hours and Amber did just fine. It's basically a concern for your own comfort level.

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My son was months when he had his first surgery and we ended up getting discharged and driving back to San Diego from Houston. He was an angel. Had to stop once for Tylenol for MOM though....ha ha
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

kate...me too! I stopeed using travelocity for several reasons and that was one of them! I did, however, recently book another flight through them, but it had nothing to do with medical travel and I was travelling alone, so if it got messed up it was all on me and not with my children in toe and not with a child that just had surgery!

If Emma were to go for surgery again, there is NO WAY I would deal with that again. It's bad enough going through all the emotional and physical stressors of it all, to have them give you the run around to try and change a flight and them make you PAY through the nose to do so. Fortunately, the airlines, themselves, were gracious enough to help us change the fligth without any problems or fees.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on everything.

Peggy
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Hi Kate,

I haven't been on the board for a while. It breaks my out to hear that Joshua is going to have a surgery done. But on the positive side, I am glad that something is available out there to help him! I will definitely put him in my thoughts and prayers.

Here is the link that I often refer to about hotel reservations. We are going to make a reservation on Holiday Inn. They do give medical rates about $89. We plan to see Dr Kozin in May.

http://www.franklinfamilybpi.com

Good luck!

Jenny
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We always drive down to St.louis the night before and stay overnight at a hotel. Angelina loves the "camping"
and free zoo vist, and once we even stayed an extra day after just cuse the kids were so hyper....lol