Wisconsin Mom - New to this Board

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
LoriV

Wisconsin Mom - New to this Board

Post by LoriV »

I've been lurking here for a little while and I thought I should introduce myself. My son is 10 weeks old and was born with OBPI - right arm. The doctors and nurses all told me it was no big deal, that he would heal on his own within a few months. The more I have researched this, the more I have come to realize that this is much more serious than they lead me to believe.

We are doing ROM exercises at home and seeing an OT every 2 weeks. He is scheduled to see the neurologist at the Brachial Plexus Clinic at Childrens Hospital in Milwaukee.

I would love to know if there are any other moms in this area and what their course of treatment was? Also, how do you know if your child should be treated locally or with Dr. Nath, which everyone seems to talk very highly of? I would appreciate anyones input. Thanks.
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Re: Wisconsin Mom - New to this Board

Post by Brenda333 »

Lori,

I am very sorry this happened to you and your child. If you would like someone to talk to, you can e-mail me at the e-mail address below.

I am from the Fox Valley Area.

mbmoore@uspower.net
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

We are from Illinois, about 5 miles south of the border, close to Kenosha. My son had surgeries at TCH....never tried the hospital in Milwaukee though.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Dear Lori:
We have a wonderful Medical Resources listing on this website. I encourage you to see more than one doctor as there are no cut and dried answers to this injury.

If you would like to ask about some of the doctors that are talked about on the message boards, please email me: claudia@ubpn.org

good luck,
claudia
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

Hi,
I have a seven year old boy with LOBPI. We live half-way between Madison and Milwaukee. When our son was first born he was seen at Children's Hospital for PT/OT and saw Drs. Jacobson and Matloub. Due to insurance changes we were forced to go to UW-Madison to Drs. Iskandar and Bentz. To date he has had no surgeries. Every eval has recommended against them. If you have any questions, please email me.
Ann
dmom

Post by dmom »

Hi, Lori:

I'm so sorry about your baby. Isn't that funny, how we all hear the same, tired lie: "Oh, this injury is no big deal .. it'll heal ..." UGH! It's infuriating.

My son has had two surgeries with Dr. Nath. He is absolutely awesome. Did you know you can send him a VIDEO to get your child evaluated? That makes an assessment really easy for out-of-state patients (and he has a ton of them).

Here's his website, if you don't have it already:
www.drnathbrachialplexus.com

Good luck to you ...
Janet

Lauren (mom to Brooke)

Post by Lauren (mom to Brooke) »

Hi. I'm sorry to hear your child was injured. I live near Rockford, Illinois. Brooke is almost seven months old LOBPI. Does your child have hand and wrist movement?

Feel free to e-mail me offline.

Lauren