Triangle Tilt surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: Triangle Tilt surgery

Post by admin »

Thanks Kara, and give my best to Jared. I'll let you know more as soon as I do. Can anyone tell me what kind of cast they use after the surgery? Is it permanent or removable (do to the fact that it is a bone surgery)?

thanks, Wayne

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is NOT removable for six weeks because the bones have to heal together again. But it is still a splint (not a cast) (unless he changes that, I'm not sure). The position is this: put your arm down to your side and then just bring your forarm up so that your elbow is at your waist. And the hand is supinated.
dmom

Post by dmom »

Regarding the splint ... after the surgery, Danny wore a splint around his torso, with the arm supinated and held against his side. The splint was wrapped with those soft straps. It wasn't bad at all - much easier to maneuver than the mod quad splint! I would assume the splint stays the same, regardless of the surgery name change.

Hope that helps,
Janet
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Are you allowed to take the splint out for baths ect...?
dmom

Post by dmom »

Yes, you can remove the splint for baths, but what you generally have to do is make baths a two-person job. You have one parent remove the splint and hold the child's arm in the same position as the other parent does a sponge bath. This is especially important in the early days after surgery and with a very small child who doesn't understand what's going on (like ours!).

It gets easier as the arm heals. I remember that within a few weeks, Danny would willingly sit in the bathtub with his arm supinated as we bathed him.

Hope that helps!
Janet
jaredsmomdeb

Post by jaredsmomdeb »

hello my son will be having the triangle tilt by Dr.Nath on March 10th and has had 3 surgeries already, and all my son cares about is the food for the plane , kids are so not thinking of the pain but what they can eat on the plane, GOD BLESS CHILDREN!!!
dmom

Post by dmom »

Hi, again - I realized I have to amend my previous remark after talking to some others.

Check with Dr. Nath, but I am hearing that you actually may not be able to remove the triangle tilt splint for several weeks after surgery. It seems to me that there was a short period of time after the acromio where we couldn't remove the splint, but I know it wasn't six weeks. Anyway, I'm really sorry if I added to any confusion!

Janet

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I just spoke to Dr Nath, Ryan will have surgery on May 11, that was the first date available, Its just unbelievable how many procedures Dr Nath performs each week. I don't know about Ryan but I am looking foward to this surgery and the oppotunity for Ryan to have more ROM. If anyone will be there around then please let me know?

Thanks, Wayne