What do you think of this ?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kathleen

What do you think of this ?

Post by Kathleen »

I was wandering around in cyber space and found this page.... just read it...
Kath

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m322 ... icle.jhtml
Kathleen

Re: What do you think of this ?

Post by Kathleen »

I typed in the word Erb's Palsy and found lots of articles...

I don't know what to say!

Erb's Palsy Is Unlikely to Have Iatrogenic Cause.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m322 ... icle.jhtml
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Sorry guys I think I am talking to myself... but I just could not stop reading from the Medical Mag...

and for those who talk about C-Section -- and the problems of having more then one child injured I thought you might like to read this one. Not that I am advocating C-Section just thought it was interesting reading.

This is it I promise
Kath
C-Section Advocated in Women With a History Of Brachial Plexus Injury.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0CY ... icle.jhtml
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It just goes to show you that anyone can write anything they want and pull statistical numbers out of a hat. This is just another way to cover up and try to protect the doctors from having to take responsibility for maming our children.
Bridget

Post by Bridget »

"In more than one half of cases of brachial plexus dysfunction at birth, no shoulder dystocia or other complication of pregnancy or delivery can be documented; this finding has led to speculation that the cause of brachial plexus dysfunction may not necessarily be birth trauma."

The above statement is funny to me, AS IF the lack of documentation of shoulder dystocia or other complication in the record reflects the truth of what happened. It most certainly did NOT in my case, anyway. According to my son's birth records there were absolutely no complications at birth at all...how lovely of the doctor to "forget" to mention 4th degree laceration, mid-to-high forceps delivery, lack of full dilation, baby not breathing and blue, left arm limp among other stuff...this type of article makes me MAD, as (in my opinion) it is a blatant attempt to provide the medical field with literature to support itself in a court of law. The statistics regarding the occurence of bpi are also highly circumspect, as are the statistics regarding full recovery. I think this article is ridiculous.

Bridget
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I also think it is a crock because I had a baby with right BPI and he was born c-section...I also had gestational diabetes, however my baby was not macrosomic, so why is he injured????
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Glad to see that I am not the only one....

I just had to share this with our community because I was so unhappy when I read this stuff....

I am obpi and I was not happy to read that stuff.
I posted them because I felt that this type of material supported those who say OBPI cannot be prevented. I was searching for study's on the long range effects of obpi... but found only those pages.
Kath
DebbieJean

Post by DebbieJean »

Obviously the doctor does not know what they are talking about. Sick, just plain SICK.
What a crock!!!!!!!
Yup, that's my opinion.
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Hi Folks

I am the person who posted a while back about Long Thoracic Nerve Palsy and you guys were great to me.

I haven't posted in a while (real sore lately) but I had to jump in on this one. I totaly agree with the guests comment that articles like this are printed to cover doctors backsides in case of litigation.

My doctors have all stuck together like glue insinuating that nothing was done wrong to cause my nerve injury. The neurologist wrote a letter to my GP before my EMG or nerve conduction testing was completed
stating that this was going to heal in 6 to 12 months,
that I didn't have much pain, and that although it is possible that my arm could have been hyper-abducted during surgery this would be an uncommon cause for this.
None of this is true of course. It's been 19 months and I still have very limited use of my right arm and can't recall a minute in the last 19 months when I didn't have pain.

I have read many medical journal articles which state that if the arm is hyper-abducted and the head turned to the opposite direction for a long period (my surgery was 5 hours), this injury can occur.

Of course there is nothing in my medical record stating that I was in a bad position so I had no case as far as the lawyer was concerned for a lawsuit.
Although I wanted to believe that the neurologist was just being optomistic about my diagnosis, I now believe
that he wrote this letter and downplayed my condition to cover the respective butts of his collegues.
It's shamefull that iatrogenic injuries can occur (especially to the wee babies) and our system is set up so that rather than having a financial basis for compensating victims, they deny and run the other way.
Meanwhile our futures are crushed.

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth.
I wish all of you whose babies have been hurt by
negligence success and a good lawyer behind you.
Nan
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

O.K., If....Anne D. Walling, M.D...even really exists I feel sorry for any poor sap that gets stuck with her as a doctor!!! I saw with my own eyes the midwife's hands and forearms as she attempted to pull the head off my baby! It goes to show that whenever you read anything on the internet you have to get it backed up by a REAL doctor. This stuff is garbage.
Thanks for bringing it up.
That's not to say some children may not be injured in other ways...but I'm sure the majority are done during delivery!
T.