Philadelphia

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cindyh

Philadelphia

Post by cindyh »

What's the closest hotel to stay at in relation to the hospital? Are there medical rates? Is it easy to get around there? Thanks
marg&anna

Re: Philadelphia

Post by marg&anna »

we stayed at the Conwell Inn its on the Temple University campus about 1.7 miles from the hospital, I wouldn't walk to the hospital from there, bad neighborhood as soon as you leave the campus. you have to pay for parking its about two blocks away,with lots of security emergency buttons and a security tower.. i think it was $6 everytime you left the garage.. the Inn is in a alley way, kind of hard to find.. its a nice place, theres little convenice stores right there (like a 7-11 & a subway or something i believe & dunkin donuts), Great Security! so you feel safe going out at night right around there.. oh the other thing they don't have a frige in your room but will keep stuff for you down stairs at the desk in their frige.. its a nice place.. with a few downfalls..
the second time we went we stayed at Ronald McDonald house in NJ.. that was nice, they provide dinner, asigned a frige in the kitchen along with a cabinet for food.. food wasn't aloud up stairs and you cleaned your own room upon leaving, that included washing bed linens.. oh they have cabinets with food that's there for everyone along with a frige that was open to everyone.. they also had a shuttle going to & from the hospital.. every room there had some sort of theme, it was a neat place.. they also had washer & dryers & provided soap .. kind of like home away from home.. also a bad neighborhood was suggested not to go out after dark..
that's my hotel experiences in Philadelphia.. hope it helps.. marg
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

We've stayed at the Conwell Inn twice as well. We've driven from the Hotel to the hospital each time, which didn't take but maybe 10-15 minutes. The hotel was quite nice. Very roomy with a TV, 2 beds, and bathroom. When we made a reservation (I called the number myself), we just mentioned that we were going to Shriner's Hospital and could we get the medical rate. We paid I believe $102.00 with taxes included (base rate is $85.00 I believe and then the taxes). We never had to show any proof we were going to Shriner's and they never asked for it either. The number is: (215)235-6200 or (888)379-9737. www.conwellinn.com

It is kind of hard to find. I got lost because you have to take an alleyway. I called the front desk from my cell phone and he talked me into finding it. When you are on Broad Street headed toward Temple University (like you took a left out of the Shriner's parking garage), when you come upon Temple's Campus, look on the left for Beasley's Way or Beasley's Walk (Beasley's something or other). It's the alley you want to take. It's very narrow. You go down it about 100 yards, then it curves toward the right. Then you will see Campus Security on your left. Park right by Campus Security (there are 2 parking spots for the hotel). Get out of the car and stand in front of Campus Security and face the building that looks like an old church. On your left (right next to security), you will see the Conwell Inn. I used Mapquest to get directions and there was no mention of this Beasley's Walk. Instead it said to turn onto another road which really is just a walking path for the campus and no vehicles are allowed. Directions from the front desk are great.

We've also stayed at a couple Bed and Breakfasts that are about 30+ minutes away from Shriner's if you are looking for that. We've also stayed at the Ronald McDonald house just this month for a week. All have been great.

Good luck.

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
cindyh

Post by cindyh »

Thanks!! Yall are great!!
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

Cindy,
We stayed at the Holiday Inn City Line. It's on Route 1, as is Shriners. They have an indoor and outdoor pool which the kids loved!! You could also check out www.gophila.com, at various times through the year they have stay one night, get the next night free. I have travel information on my website at www.franklinfamilybpi.com, click on the Shriner's page and you should be able to see information there.

Cindy
cindyh

Post by cindyh »

Cindy,

I loved your website. It has some great info! Thanks for sharing!