Brachial Plexus Magnetic Ribbons....Why Not?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Re: Brachial Plexus Magnetic Ribbons....Why Not?

Post by tylergsmom »

I think this is a great idea! I really like the idea of the bumper sticker with the web site address, but as it has already been mentioned, a lot of people won't put stickers on their vehicles (me included). I think the silver ribbon with the bell sounds just fine.

Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
emmetts mom

Post by emmetts mom »

I am an Army wife and I dont think it would take away from the troops. I agree that a magnet would be great I would use them and so would everyone in my family, neghbors too.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I like the silver ribbon with the bell in the center.
It would be different.
I live in an area close to NYC and there are many support our troops ribbons and also the ribbons for "We will never forget 9/11."

I don't see a silver ribbon as a conflict.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Samsmom

Post by Samsmom »

I think this is a great idea. We need to jump on any type of awareness that comes to our minds. I like the idea of using a silver hand. Crystal
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I love the idea! I probably wouldn't put a sticker on my car (and I know that most of my friends/family wouldn't) but I would happily put a magnet on it.

I like both the silver ribbon (as has been mentioned, different/new colors make people stop and look to find out more) as well as the one with the bell in the middle (depending on cost, etc....)

Cool idea!!
tinachick

Post by tinachick »

I love the idea. I am a 6 yr tbpi veteran from New York. There are so many people out there who do not know about us. Nancy, please see what can be done. Maybe instead of the ribbon, we can have 2 shaking hands or something to that effect or a horsehoe for luck since we are lucky to have eachother. Please let me know
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

All the children, adults and families inflicted by this injury deserve some recognition and a voice. What a great awareness idea Gayle! Thanks.

If cost is a factor then it may get pricier trying to do a bell or hand....not sure, but worth looking into. It would be neat to put a hand inside the ribbon or like someone mentioned two hands shaking, or maybe even one reaching up to the other. Lots of different things we could do, so it is great that we are brainstorming.

Do any other organizations and awareness efforts already have a heart in the middle of the ribbon versus the traditional shape?

If people decide to go with a magnetic ribbon, then color may be an issue. I really like the silver color Rich, but silver is a very popular car color, so just something to possibly think about. I think this is why you see ribbons in more unusual colors such as yellow, pink, etc. If we went with a clingy sticky window decal placed on the inside facing out, then color wouldn't be an issue, but I think people are leaning more toward the ribbon.

The bell could be nice too, but it just doesn't seem quite as touching to me as a hand, reaching hands, or a heart. I know it comes from the idea....ring in awareness. Will this be UBPN's ongoing awareness theme? Just a thought.

Maybe if Brandon's mom and UBPN decide to further look into the possibilities of such an awareness project, at some point perhaps our community could vote on it. I think what matters the most is doing SOMETHING. I think having ubpn.org on one side of the ribbon would be very important.

Love the idea of any profits going toward bpi causes or bpi camp scholarships.

Lisa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I too think this is great. We have the license plate "surround" thing from several years ago adn get many comments on that as well Also we put ubpn.org or www.injurednewborn.com, etc on out address labels for the final line. I have had a few people drop a line and let me know they checked out the websites. We have even asked our family memebers to do it as well, it normally doesn't cost extra as you get so many lines.. BACK to the topic. Perhaps a few of our attorney would pitch in a few bucks and get the first batch purchased and then the money earned could be used to keep up the supply and go towards the kids / awareness. Just a thought.
BarbH

Post by BarbH »

I think having a ribbon being a different color then the others would be a great idea. Because I am also someone who looks closer when I see one and think "Hey I haven't seen one like that before...wonder what it's for."

My family is very intrested in pursuing this. Let us know.

Great idea Gayle!!
mylittlemj

Post by mylittlemj »

I think it would be a great idea!, maybe something different than a ribbon would be nice. It would stand out more .

Thanks
Lisa