19 Nova Scotia new to this TBPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bermitt

19 Nova Scotia new to this TBPI

Post by bermitt »

My name is Chris and I was recently in a accident. I broke my femur, wrist, and a basil Fracture. Plus Brachial plexus. It happened Sept,7,04 so all of this is just starting to sink in, I have no use of my right arm, and I was wondering if some people could help me out. I am in the dark, and very scared. I would like to know what I should look for or do or anything. I was told there is no surgery because its at the spine, I was also told that I might have to get my shoulder fused, scarey!! I need some people who understand. Take care
Patwarner55

Re: 19 Nova Scotia new to this TBPI

Post by Patwarner55 »

Hi Chris,

My injury was October 15th this year. Everyone's injury is different and the symptoms are different.

These people on here know their stuff. Ask away. I don't post often but have learned to read as much on here as I can. I have already learned volumes.

Please have patience because this injury is slow in healing or progressing to the best that you will get with it...not just months but years. These people help not only with your questions but encouragement too.

Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Chris - I am RTBPI, and my accident was 41 years ago! I thought I knew most everything after going so many years, but in the 7 months since I have found this site I've learned so much about how others cope. Because I was only 5 when I was injured, doing things one-handed seems normal to me, so if you need help, just ask!

Try to remain optimistic, and if you have a warped sense of humor, now is the time to use it! When I waas injured there wasn't a lot that could be done, but treatment has come a long way since 1963! Read these forums and check out the resources page to see where you may find treatment. The sooner after your injury you seek treatment, the better off you will be. Good luck to you!
bermitt

Post by bermitt »

thank you very much for the feed back the more the better!!!!! I have a question about surgery is there any, i was told there there isn't then i was told there was i am getting really confused!
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Hey Chris and welcome to the club that no one likes to join! I am glad that you have found us early though.... We are not doctors but have been throuhg this so ask away! And YES there are surgical options out there for this injury! I personally have had 2 and maybe more in the future..... find a BPI doctor asap! That is your best bet! Check out http://ubpn.org/medicalresources/ there you can have a look aorund..... many of us travel out of state, just keep that in mind. I live in Michigan and travel to Texas..... not sure how the insurance thing works up there but check it out! Feel free to email me if you have any questions!!! Best of luck!

COurt xx
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hi Chris,

It is unnerving (sick joke) to feel like you're in this on your own. It can be overwhelming, because you're still dealing with the accident itself, in addition to figuring out the bpi injury & how to deal with it now & down the road.

There are a good variety of surgical options out there: from grafting nerves onto a damaged one (stretched or torn) to actually transferring nerves still plugged into the spine over to take over functions of bpi nerves that have been avulsed from the spine. There even can be transferred muscles to help replace ones in the arm. My son has had all those things done at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota, with excellent results - and if you plan to come to the States to visit any clinics, I hope you'll include Mayo on your list.

How are your pain levels? Do you have any function in your arm? What types of doctors are you seeing at this time? Do you have family nearby to help out?

Take care, and Keep Asking Questions!

Ellen
bermitt

Post by bermitt »

Wow I wasn't really expecting for people to reply so quickly, I am loving this. Those surgery's sound crazy are there any types of side affects that could happen. I am very scared of the whole talk of surgery. From what i was told they do surgery in Canada in Calgary. I am being reffered to them now.
I have a whole lot of support from family, and friends.The pain levels are insane, when i first got out of the hospital they didn't give me medication at first so the first couple of days were alright then boom, i couldn't sleep all night and was close to passing out. Its been ok after the medication, still makes my eyes water now. At first i had nothing but now i have my whole hand and wrist and my tricep. nothing in the shoulder.
Thank you so much for the support
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi and welcome!
Ellen's given some great advice there. There is no such thing as risk free surgery but these ays the risks are minimised and if you try and see a bpi doctor whose main interest is trauma injured adults you'll minimise the risk still further. The Mayo team Ellen has mentioned are an example of such a group of doctors but there are some in Canada.
You might look at the UK tbpi site, Mikeyb who is in Ontario is a regular there and he might know of a doctor nearer you. Here is a link to the message board http://pub28.ezboard.com/badultswithbra ... usinjuries the main website can be reached by clicking on my name and then clicking the page marked as my homepage.

Take care of yourself, things will start to look better down the track, I promise. I have had my injury almost 25 years, feel free to mail me if you want to talk. My email can be reached by clicking on my name as before.
Happy Christmas if you celebrate :0)
Cheers Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi! My 12 year old son, James, was injured in a 4 wheeler accident last year, November. He has a BPI. We live in NC and we travel to Texas to see a Dr. He has had 1 surgery, nerve grafting, they took the sural nerves from his legs and used them to graft. Ask questions away. Thats what were here for. These people have lots of info to share and this site is great for info, just browse around.
RottieJan

Post by RottieJan »

Hi chris, sorry to hear of your accident.

i live just outside of toronto and have had my bpi for over 2 years now. my bpi was due to doctor error. i only found these boards in october, but they have helped tremendously.

calgary is quite the haul from NS! toronto is still far but you may want to ask about docs here. however, whatever you do, don't let them refer you to st. mike's here. that's where i sustained my injury. i'd recommend asking for a referral to dr. anastakis at toronto western general hospital. he's wonderful and speaks in english - not medical lol!

i've been told nothing can be done to fix my bpi; however, i'm looking into the mayo clinic for hope - just waiting for some answers from my doc.

no pain killers at first? typical canadian docs, eh? my mum broke her leg in 3 places this summer and they sent her home with tylenol 3's!!! i'm not sure what coverage you have or how your provincial plan works but you may wish to ask to try either neurontin or oxycontin for the pain. ive been on the oxycontin for 2 years now and it's the only thing that helps. however, the ontario government disability plan doesn't cover neurontin but i've heard good things about it.

the pain will lessen (or we get used to it, not sure which!) in time. i know that doesn't help now. *smile*

well, i've blabbed enough, good luck, ask questions (none are dumb) and, unfortunately, welcome to our world.

hugs,

jan