Moving to Alabama.....

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Moving to Alabama.....

Post by tylergsmom »

Hi All---I am currently living in Utah and unfortunatly, my husband and I are getting a divorce. I am moving down to Alababma with my two boys to live near my parents. I was wondering if anyone knows of any support groups down that way? I am trying to compile a list of PT's, OT's and Aqua Therapist but not having much luck yet. Any info that anyone has for me would be helpful. I will be in the Mobile area. Thanks!

Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
PeggyUBPN

Re: Moving to Alabama.....

Post by PeggyUBPN »

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce; good luck with the move to Alabama! Being around supportive family is always a plus.

You can contact Claudia Strobing (claudia@ubpn.org); she is the chair of Within Reach and should have all the current information on Support Groups (if they have given it to her). I didn't see anything listed for Alabama in the old Within Reach info I had, but I do have a contact for Louisiana (closest I could get!) if you don't find anyone.

Peggy
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I will let Deanna know you are going. If she hasn't already seen this post. She lives in Alabama but I'm not sure exactly where. Maybe she can help you out as well. Sorry to hear about your divorce, however I'm glad you can be close to your family for support.
godsentmemyangel

Post by godsentmemyangel »

Hi, I just recently moved from there. My daughter had a great OT in Montgomery at Baptist Medical East. her name is Shaunna Jackson.
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

Montgomery is too far away from Mobile. I think I may just have my mom call around for me. I haven't had too many people from that area so far that can help, so my mom may be the best route to go. Thanks for the help!

Laura
dunnfamily

Post by dunnfamily »

Laura,
Hey, I live about an 1 1/2 hours away from pensacola, which is not far from mobile. I live in the florida panhandle between pensacola and tallahassee. But I know a good friend that lives close to pensacola who has a BPI daughter and there is also another mom in that area who has a BPI son. They might know some info. for you. We have also been wanting to set up monthly get togethers maybe in pensacola if you are interested let me know. Amber
tylergsmom

Post by tylergsmom »

Hi Amber - I would definitly be interested in the get togethers! I won't be moving until June (I'm waiting for Tyler to finish first grade). As far as the therapy goes, I just talked to my mom last night and she found a pediatric OT in Mobile. I'm still looking for a Aqua therapist, but I have plenty of time. Where do you live in Florida? I grew up in Panama City, so I'm pretty familiar with the whole area.

Laura
dunnfamily

Post by dunnfamily »

Hey Laura,
That is so weird that you lived in Panama City! In all the time I have been posting, I have never met anyone that lived remotely close to me. I live in Ponce de Leon. You might have heard of Vortex Springs? I live about two miles from there. I am just finishing up my Elementary ESE degree from FSU in panama city. I am so excited to hear a fellow panhandle native! I am excited to hear that you would like to meet with us, I will have to call my friend Shellie who lives close to Pensacola in Milton and let her know. By the way my RBPI son's name is Tyler too! He is two years old and has a pretty severe injury, all five nerves were damaged, we just got back from Miami where his neurologist is. He said more surgeries later. Anyway my number is 850-956-4758 if you want to talk. Keep in touch and let me know when you get in the area. Hope you all have a merry christmas! Amber
tylergsmom

Post by tylergsmom »

What a small world!!! I do know where Ponce de Leon is! Ironic that your at FSU too -- my best friend is there right now finishing up her graduate degree in speech therapy and her fiance is an associate professor there. WOW!!

Anyway, definitly give your friend Shellie a call. I can't wait to come home! It's going to be so nice to have someone else around to talk to about this stuff. I haven't had anyone around with the same thing....ever! We were at TCH this past June & July and that was the first time that we had ever seen another person with a BPI.

You guys have a nice Christmas too!!