Bextra

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Patwarner55

Bextra

Post by Patwarner55 »

Do any of you take Bextra? If so, what are your doctors saying about this drug?

I was on it and it has given me lots of side effects. The Ortho guys will have to find something different for me to take for the RA, osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia I have.

I just quit taking it yesterday on my own until I see the Ortho doc.

Any comments on Bextra?

Pat
Gayle Ozzy

Re: Bextra

Post by Gayle Ozzy »

Pat,
I was very interested in taking this a few months back when a fellow messageboard reader posted to say what wonderful relief from neropathic pain she got from this drug. I was keen to try it but didn't in the end on doctors advice. he was sure it wouldn't help me, but apparently it does help 30% of bpi people. Otherwise it is just used as a normal anit-inflamatory.
Soon after I had the interest in this drug, the Australian version of it was all over the news, how it is being banned because of it's terrible side effct (heart attach etc). There was outrage that it was still available as their terrible side affects were discovered about 4 yrs ago.
Hope this helps
Patwarner55

Re: Bextra

Post by Patwarner55 »

Thanks Gayle,

From the very begining, it had no effect on my arthritis and don't think it was helping my BPI. This was the second time that I have taken Bextra, the first time was several years ago and no help then either.

From the very first week that I took Bextra, I started packing on the pounds with no change in my eating habits. This was noted on the sheet listing side effects. The first time I checked this sheet was after I started gaining weight so quickly.

I used to be very much heavier than I am now and had made a concerted effort to lose weight. The total I lost was 50 pounds although I had much more to lose.

I now have to lose 25 pounds to get back down to what I was. So you can see my concern about Bextra, plus there is a long history of heart disease in my family.

When I see the ortho doc for the first time next Friday, I will be asking about a replacement for Bextra.

I stopped Bextra 4 days ago and have already lost 5 pounds. It seems to start with adding fluids to my system and then the fat.

No more Bextra!

Pat