what did your OB's actually recommend for subsequent births?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BarbH

Re: what did your OB's actually recommend for subsequent births?

Post by BarbH »

The delivering OB told us NO more vag. births. And luckly our new doc said it first thing after reviewing my history with Jessica.

BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

The ob told me that my next baby should definately be a c-section. Only thing is, is that this should have been. My first son was 9+ lbs., SD and hpyoglycemic and spent 2 weeks in NICU. I asked during my entire 2nd pregnancy to not let me have another big baby and should I have a c-section. Well I didn't, needless to say that is why I am @ UBPN.org
I thought that the worst that could happen with SD was a broken clavicle and bruised head. Had I known about BPI, I would have begged, bribed and demanded a c-section.
P.S This has scared and scarred me from ever having any more children. I guess if I really ever want a girl I will adopt.
dmom

Post by dmom »

C-sections ONLY! That's because the BPI risk is higher after you have one BPI child. (Plus, I was OK with it as I didn't relish the idea of having another 12-pound baby vaginally!)

Yes, I followed that advice with baby #3. Her arms are perfect. Wouldn't have done it any other way.

Janet

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dont feel discouraged! I have 3 children. My middle child is a bpi child. My first was 3 weeks early and was 8 and 1/2lbs. My second is the bpi boy, he was 1 week early and almost 10lbs. when we found out about his injury, we were running from pillow to post between drs, nuerologists and early intervention for him.
I swore off having children and my husband agreed. Then after my son was only 6 months old, I found out I was pregnant with #3. I went to my original GYN who I had when I was pregnant with my 1st(9yrs prior to this pregnancy). I explained that I was petrified to have another because of what I went through with my son. The OB/GYN was so understanding. He monitiored my pregnancy like no other. He even brought me in 3 weeks early when he realized I was already 4cm dialated and ready to be induced. He monitored my whole delivery from start to finish. He even wouldnt let me have too much of the epidural so that I could assist in the delivery and "feel" the whole thing so that I could push at the right moments. I was able to deliver naturally to a 7lb 14oz beautiful baby girl who was healthy and thankfully with all working limbs.
I was reserved the whole pregnancy and monitored my caloric intake thinking that matter for the size of my baby, but like I said thankfully it worked out.

I hope this helped you. I now will not have any more children because I have 3 beautiful children and am happy.

good luck and hang in there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My daughter (ROBPI) will be 3 years old next month and my new little girl is 3 months old. I agree that everyone should do all the research & knowing what we know, figure out what is best for you and your situation.

Our decision (and let me reiterate this was our decision and it isn't right for everyone) was to not do the recommended C-section route. With our first, I was induced with Cytotec & Pit, had an epidural, was flat on my back for the entire labor & then had the OB pull too hard on my daughter's head. I had to first come to terms that this wasn't my or my body's fault. In my humble opinion, all of the SDs may not be preventable, but the injury should be.

Before I got pregnant the second time, I went to a few OBs, including a highly recommended high risk OB who actually said during the questions I was asking her that she had delivered "a few" babies with nerve injuries due to SD, but that it resolves itself after a few weeks (ugh!!!). That was a huge red flag to me & not only did I not want this well respected Dr. delivering my child vaginally, I didn't want her cutting on me either. I practically ran out of her office (after I told her about my daughter with the permanent injury)!

Anyway, long story short...I ended up going to a midwife I believed in, watched my sugar (no, I didn't have GD the first time or this last time) and only gained 20 lbs. The midwife called another experienced midwife in during labor & they were planning on it being a SD (in other words, they had the drill down). I ended up having a 3 hr labor, which I stood the whole time, and pushed for 18 minutes. My little one was delivered with no SD and 2 intact arms (and two pounds lighter)! She's our NOBPI baby. :)

Like I said, this was a very personal decision and one I did not take lightly. Every mother that went the c-section route did it for a very personal reason. It was very scary to take a leap of faith again. It took a long time before I was able to believe in my body again...which in my opinion is just one more thing that is taken away from us. But again, I am a firm believer that this is a preventable injury....you can do everything right & just have the wrong doctor or midwife.

Just wanted to give another point of view.
Heather