WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF A 2ND OBPI

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
m&mmom

Re: WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF A 2ND OBPI

Post by m&mmom »

I have two children with robpi. Melanie is 2 1/2 she was 8lbs 12oz at 40 weeks. Matthew is 11 months he was 10lbs 6oz at 38 weeks. I was not diagnosed with gestational diabetes. If you do not choose a c-section please make sure your doc follows the Carpenter-Coustan conversions for your 3 hour glucose. Matthew's injury was so severe that it involved phrenic nerve damage which landed him a month long stay in the hospital after birth. It's a very tough decision that you need to make. I saw a high risk ob and he told me that it wouldn't happen again. There have been days when I want to go to his office and have him meet my son.
Cindy
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

Also wanted to add when I had an ultrasound on my due date with my daughter I was told she would be possibly six but no larger than seven pounds. Matthew's estimated fetal weight was 7lbs 9oz. Ultrasounds cannont measure fat around bones.
ghaysfam5

Post by ghaysfam5 »

I feel like a first time mother in responding to this (I'm new to the web site), however I have a 9 year old daughter( 8lbs 15 ozs) induced at 38 weeks with OBPI and have two other daughters. I was so sacared to have another baby that I waited 5 1/2 years in between. I found a wonderful doctor who listened to me cry about her delivery and told me that with my second child and my fears I should have a C-section thank the lord she was 10lbs 6 ozs. After talking to 4 other OB's and one who made that same stupid comment, I'll induce you early to avoid complications and then had the nerve to ask me what size shoe I wore beacuse that would determine the size (poundage) of baby I could deliver. Obviously incorrect I wear a size 9 wide Ha Ha. Well I got pregnant a third time and my wonderful doctor had stopped his OB practice and had to find another doctor (I like to call him doctor through) who at 3 months made me take my glucose test ( which I never had diabetes with any of them) and he safely delivered my 10 lb 7 oz baby. So in my case, I couldn't even think about delivereing another baby vaginally ( for me that is). Thank you for letting me voice my opinion.
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

C-section bpi - from some research I've done some c-section cases are caused by the hole not being cut wide enough for the baby to be delivered from. Another possible reason could be that the baby started to decend or from not having enough room and position in the uterus (most rare from what I've read)
Cindy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The odds are too great,please dont take the chance. my first baby is obpi, my doc delivered my second child vaginaly and his collarbone was broken at birth we are so lucky that he was not obpi. My second Doc was very upset that the first would deliver me vag.during my c-section with the third child the doc said "I promise you one thing we wont worry about erbs palsey with this one". A c-section is a breeze compared to what my daughter has gone through for the last 18 yrs.
Kathleen

I just came across this in cyber land....interesting

Post by Kathleen »

C-Section Advocated in Women With a History Of Brachial Plexus Injury.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0CY ... icle.jhtml

and this one........
Erb's Palsy Is Unlikely to Have Iatrogenic Cause.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m322 ... icle.jhtml

and this one...
Risk Factors for Perinatal Brachial Plexus Injury.(Statistical Data Included)
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m322 ... icle.jhtml

I am a bit puzzled by the last two....
Kath
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

to answer your question,I say yes. I'm a 41yr old male with BP of the right arm and my sis. is a 43yr old female with BP. of the left arm same father same mother. We were delivered by the same doctor same way.
To this day I still wonder why I wasn't delivered by
"C"SECTION. Parents please make sure your child exercises that arm EVERY day!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just gave birth to twins. My three year old daughter has a bpi from birth. From day one we had the doctor write a note saying that we would have a scheduled c-section.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Hi Jeff

Welcome to the board... I was 11 lb. 14 oz. when I was born and I wonder why I was not delivered by C-Section since my mom had a history of large babies and lost two to birth injury - excessive force with instruments...
I am right obpi and 62
Kath