Upcoming Mod Quad

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Evansmom

Upcoming Mod Quad

Post by Evansmom »

Hi Everyone,
My son Evan, ROBPI, is going to Texas next week to have the Mod Quad surgery with Dr. Nath. He is 6.5 months old and this is his first surgery. I was wondering if there is anything I should be bringing to Texas with us that I shouldn't leave home without. I am still nursing him and am planning on bring my pump, but what about bottles and storage items for the milk, I will have to pump? Food? Nursing Pillow? etc... Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks,
Peggy
katep

Re: Upcoming Mod Quad

Post by katep »

If you are flying, I highly recommend a change of clothes for baby as well as adults for the flight. I wish someone had suggested that for our trip to Boston... there is nothing so unpleasant as getting puked on at the beginning of the flight and having nothing to change into!

Kate
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

My son had the Mod Quad in June, but he is 6 years old. I would recommend checking out www.injurednewborn.com. Francines daughter, Mia, had sugery when she was that little and has such a helpful site on what to bring and what to be prepared for. I love it!

Good Luck!
Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Francine's site has a lot of helpful info about pumping and storing breastmilk as well. I don't think you have to bring your own pump, as they will supply you one while you are there. Good Luck! You are in great hands. The entire staff at TCH was extremely helpful.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Snacks, books, magazines or something to do while he is in surgery. It is only about an hour surgery, but it seems like forever if you are not distracted. Best of luck to you. We were just there and everything was excellent.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pack light, we brought WAY too much stuff and that makes it a lot harder. You really don't need a lot of stuff.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Don't be afraid to contact Dr. Nath's office and/or email him to find out what will be available to you and what you may need to bring to make yourselves more comfortable.

If Evan has a favorite toy, bring it. I'm sure mommy will be what he wants most, but do contact them and ask.

All the best!
Peggy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am pretty sure you don't need to bring your own pump. TCH supplies you with a pump, and storage stuff while you are there. This might save you some extra baggage. Call TCH and ask for the milk bank or something like that, and they will answer all your questions about it. Good luck.
Noahsmom

Post by Noahsmom »

Hi,

My son was 14 months old when he had the mod quad. He was still nursing, but not nearly as often as a 6 month old. He did not want to nurse at all after his surgery or recovery time in the hospital. I thought it would be a comfort to him, but he just felt so crummy after surgery.

I'm telling you this, so you won't get too upset if your little one doesn't nurse as much as usual. If that happens, try to pump at usual feeding times to keep up your supply for when your baby is ready to nurse again. It might not happen and your baby might want to nurse just as much or more even. Just I know it can be upsetting when our babies won't eat. Just know that it's temporary and it's okay. It's can be part of the recovery from surgery.

Maggie
claudia

Post by claudia »

As to the eating (nursing) thing...many kids are nauseous after surgery. Some throw up, some don't, but most feel rather queasy. So, I agree, don't feel badly if Evan doesn't want to nurse much. Surgeries tend to bring up those guilty feelings, so remember that even if this was not a bpi surgery (tubes or something), he wouldn't want to eat much.

Pack lighter than you would think to. There are toys in the hospital. Each room at tch has a tv and vcr, so bring along the favorite tapes! Blues Clues and Caillou saved us on the last one. The hospital has tapes, but many are really old.

The clothes you buy should be 2 sizes bigger than he wears now. Don't buy too much: the time goes faster than you think.

Leave extra space in your suitcase as the hospital gives you extra foam and such for the splint. It takes up space.

good luck,
claudia