regarding primary surgery/w/Dr.Hentz

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
rbbp

regarding primary surgery/w/Dr.Hentz

Post by rbbp »

Please if anyone knows about this is it dangerous?
Do they have alot of pain?
Has anyone had Dr .Hentz?please let me know.
My daughter is 4 months and is going to have surgery next 2 weeks?
admin
Site Admin

Re: regarding primary surgery/w/Dr.Hentz

Post by admin »

Lots of kids have had primary surgery, mine included. I would do it again without hesitation. We went to TCH with the expectation that they were the best. That was almost 6 years ago. Our son had developed a small infection that was treated by our family doc with antibiotics. I also remember not recognizing my son when we were allowed to see him in the recovery room after surgery as his face was swollen - temporary believe me.

If you live in a cold area look for winter wear that will allow you to tuck your child's arm inside against his body and say also fit something the size of a hand towel as well as he or she will have a wide maybe 1/2" thick piece of foam wrapped around his chest and another narrow piece wrapped around his lower arm, both secured with velcro attatchments to keep your childs arm in position while they recover. LLBean has a little fleece baby bag that we found to perfect for the job. We did not look for clothing to do this as we found that the foam did not breathe well and we liked having a layer of clothing in between but it can be scary to dress a wiggly infant... perhaps when they are still sleepy is best. It is also best to see it your baby swing and jumper will accomadate the bulk as well. I can't say enough about having something your child can bounce around in. The ones with the tray all around will help keep your child from really wacking thier head on the door jamb so keep an eye out for something like that but babies need excersize so also make sure it will bounce. My mother in law purchased a jonny jump up and that particular model did not bounce well.

While you are waiting for your child, often only one adult can stay with the child in the hospital overnight. Hampton Inn's have always been nice and they do have a medical discount- ask for it.

If you have to fly home from the hospital - Make sure you get a doctors order saying your child should not be removed from the car seat or the airline will make you remove your child in order to x-ray the car seat. I did not like having to move my child around so much right after surgery. Keep in mind this was almost 6 years ago and you may not have a choice. We survived but I was not impressed.

Bring something that interests you to help the time pass, several magazines, a book, handwork if you are crafty, plan on getting a bite to eat, bring a phone card to call relatives for support if you get antsy but as hard as it seems to send a child into surgery remember that lots of little ones have surgery every day. Kids are born with all kinds of things and OBPI isn't the worst one. I will never forget going to the Shriners Hospital and feeling so overwelmed by all the kids there getting new artificial limbs and so on. I may not be the luckiest person in the world but I am still fortunate in comparison.

Relax and your baby will too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would like to add that we were told grape tylenol was better than cherry as it tends to stay down better. It is not likely your child will need anything more than that and I wouldn't anticipate that it would be needed for a long time but one bottle of grape tylenol handy would be good.
rbbp

Post by rbbp »

I know and understand that worst things happen to other infants born. And bpp may not be the worst but it is to me .
I care and love my chil dearly I believe we all do.
And surgery is still something i fear.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We see Dr. Hentz regularly and have been very happy with him. I was cautious before but after spending more "personal" time with him at our area picnic my confidence increased. He can be difficult to get detailed information out of so you really need to have yoru questions written and ready.

We did not have primary done and he has recently waived our DD's need for secondary. I would've trusted him to do her secondary surgery.
rbbp

Post by rbbp »

sara thank you very much we are going the 22 nov. for primary.
he is a very good Dr. thank .
Salina