Body Boundaries

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Michelle_16

Body Boundaries

Post by Michelle_16 »

hi there!

Remember me?! ye hi!

I know alot of ppl experience the walking into things like on the erbs side example walking in to ppl when your out shopping...well i never had this problem until the last few months where iv developed it pretty bad. i was just wondering if anyone knows why this develops? and how i can help it? its kinda embarassing walking into ppl all the time.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Michelle x
CW1992

Re: Body Boundaries

Post by CW1992 »

Hey Michelle, glad to see you posting again! I hope I do not come off in a wrong way here - but my daughter sometimes drives me nuts because she completely runs in to people in the mall, along a sidewalk, or if we are out there shopping. I realize that she just doesn't know that she just plowed in to someone - but they do! I know with Brittney it is always so unintentional - she has no idea that she just elbowed someone off of the sidewalk or into a table ....... so anyway - I do understand. With her I think it is because with her arm kind of bent and ' out there' and she just does not realize that she knocks people sometimes. But then if you think about it - I'm sure there are plenty of things that I do that I just do not realize..... There are times I get aggravated and tell her to "watch what she is doing", but she really doesn't realize, people glare, and I apologixe and she does too - it is all unintentional and that is what matters. If people do not realize that - they do not matter anyway!!
Like I try to tell my daughter - keep your elbows in kiddo!
Anyway Michelle, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone@
Christy
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I just posted the issue on balance. I don't know why it comes on all of a sudden. I've noticed mine for quite sometime. Some days are absolutely worse then others. I wish we had an answer.
Lucky Fin

Post by Lucky Fin »

My understanding of the whole "bumping/running into things" issue is the basic equilibrium factor. (When you think about it, our affected side throws off our center balance.) As we all know, it's very very common in people with our disABILITY. I was born with BP 29 years ago and this issue was beyond obvious in myself when I was 2. My mother told me I used to walk like I was drunk. The Dr. just told my mom I needed to learn to balance but gave her no ideas on how to teach a 2 year old balance. She got creative & took me ice skating. It worked. I of course still fumble and crash, some people get pissy and others could care less. Hmm, I think I just flapped my yap anddidn't really tell you anything you don't already know. Oh well, here's ramdom crashes!!!!!!!
Michelle_16

Post by Michelle_16 »

ye i actually do think the problem is that i have sticky out elbow and i dont realise that it sticks out. also the balance thing too cos i do tend to wobble alot...especially in high shoes good job im 6' (feet) and dont need to be any taller. lol

Thanx all

Michelle x