Having another child after BPI with 1st

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
dunnfamily

Re: Having another child after BPI with 1st

Post by dunnfamily »

Cara-
Congratulations and get ready! I didn't know how easy it was with just one until I had two! My son Tyler was 18 mths when our daughter Maddie was born (she's now 7 months). There was no doubt in my mind that I would have her C-section. Just my opinion but I couldn't ever see letting another one of my children go through what Tyler did. And let me say, the C-section was a breeze compared to the vaginal birth. The episiotomy hurt alot worse than the c-section. I was up walking around the next day. Sure I have a little scar at the bottom of my stomach but I'd take a hundred of those little scars if I could go back and have had Tyler C-section. Most importantly with having Maddie c-section, I had a beautiful healthy baby that has two perfectly working arms and hands.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I loved your story.
I'm in the same situation (haven't told many people yet, though). I had my first prenatal visit last week, and my doctor wasn't very keen on the c-section idea. He feels confident he can induce early and get the baby out. Well, first of all, if we induce, then I will be stuck with wires and will be stuck on my back, right? Second, both my earlier babies were early (4 wks early, 7 1/2 lbs, and 2 weeks early, 8 3/4 lbs). My BPI baby was born less than 20 minutes after we got the hospital - so I'm very worried this doctor won't even be there when it's time. He said he will discuss it in their next high risk meeting and come up with a treatment plan. Should I find another doctor?
I wonder if they can give me medicine to keep me from having contractions so I don't have an emergency again?
Good luck and please keep us posted on your treatment plan - I would be interested to know what it is.
Thanks.
Joni

Post by Joni »

Hi Cara,

With my second child, I had a scheduled C-Section at 38 weeks and had a perfectly healthy baby. The recovery was definately harder, but I just could not risk another child getting injured. I was so nervous when I was pregnant about going into labor early, I'd have nightmares about my OB who promised me the C-section being out of town or something and being forced to deliver vaginally. I know it probably sounds weird, but it was really hard for me to have another child, but I'm glad we did! Good luck.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for posting. We want to have a scheduled c-section with any subsequent children. I just cannot risk another baby going through what Ashleigh went through. I'm sad because I honestly wanted and enjoyed going through the birthing process (heck yeah it hurt but still). But now that I've gotten past feeling like I'll miss out, I know that it is the right thing for us to do.
Medlin

Post by Medlin »

That is so funny!!!! I love kids and their innocent perspective on life!

I thought I would give you my experience. I got pregnant with my second child when my first was 6 months old. Trust me that was not planned. I had such a different pregnancy with my second. With Zoe, my first with the BPI, I was diagnosed with Pre-Eclampsia, and she ended up with shoulder dystocia. All my doctors would tell me while I was pregnant with Nolan is that it's very slim we would have the same problems. Luckly they were right this time...I was in labor for 2 hours and he popped right out. No problems at all. It's crazy how different each preganacy can be.

Thank you for the funny story, it made my day!
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

Congratulations, Cara!
I hope that which ever delivery method you go with, it is smooth and results in a happy, healthy baby/family!

That little story just made me LOL! That is something you need to write down and relive frequently when she's grown up!

Take care,
Peggy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My childs BPI was caused by rotation at delivery, so its a little different then what seems to be the norm. My second baby was also posterior (reason for turning #1) with a forehead presentation. I was able to deliver her naturally even in that horrible position. Everyone was quite shocked that I didn't have her Cesarean and looking back on it, I wish I had but was afraid of surgery. If we go for a 3rd, I think I would choose Cesarean just because of how traumatic birthing my second baby was. There were many many complications and I'm not sure I've totally healed emotionally yet and she is 16 months!

That is the best story!!!! Thanks for brightening my day!

Laura :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To all those who had c-section with the subsequent baby: How did you convince your doctor to go that route? Was it easy? I'm having trouble convincing mine, and I wonder if I should find another doctor (but how?). I was thinking of bringing in some statistics with me at my next visit, such as all the risk factors. Aren't inducement and being on your back both risk factors?
Avery's Mom

Post by Avery's Mom »

After much thought and contemplation I have decided to go with the elective c-section. I am currently at 19 weeks and spent most of the summer deciding.

I hate to miss out on the vaginal birth but I can't bare the thought of being in labour again. I have too many anxieties and mistrust of the doctors. I'm afraid that my anxiety alone would do me in!

Also, all of the OB/GYN's here are on a rotation and it occurred to me - what if the @$$hole walks in that night???? I couldn't do it.

Tough decision! We're going for the elective though.
Joni

Post by Joni »

To Guest (Also Pregnant)

When I was pregnant w/my second, my husband and I decided that we would not select an OB to give prenatal care unless they pre-guaranteed us a C-Section. I was only a couple of weeks pregnant and we set up mtgs. or an interview (if you will) w/the OB ahead of time to make sure we felt comfortable and that they would be understanding to our concerns and needs. Well luckily, the first OB we saw turned out to be the one we chose, and he was great! I remember right as we went into the operating room my blood pressure sky rocketed so they had to stop and administer some medication, and when the baby was pulled out the doc said "HA, no shoulder distocia or BP injuries here, your baby is just fine!" Anyhow, I know you are further along and don't have the option to interview anyone, so yes I would support your reasons w/back up info, and if he does not respond well, change before it is too late if you are debating it. Good luck.