Eye Palsy

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Eye Palsy

Post by patpxc »

I've had episodes of double vision for a couple of years and today the Dr. diagnosed it as some kind of eye muscle palsy. Has anyone else had this problem? Isn't one palsy enough???????? Made an appointment with the eye Dr. Just hope that exercise will help and that it isn't an atrophy type disease. Got a letter last week that my long term disability is being reviewed. First the fire, then the letter, now the eyeball thing. Doesn't bad news come in 3's???? I'm ready for something good to happen. In the meantime, could someone send some tranquilizers and a bottle of whiskey??????? Pat
TINA-T

Re: Eye Palsy

Post by TINA-T »

Pat, they say these things travel in 3's..............so YES you should be done for awhile!!!!!

I've never heard of an eye palsy?? Hopefully this will go away and leave you alone with exercises :) I myself have had a bad time with my vision. Seems they test my eyes and adjust my glasses and even with the upgrade I have a hard time. With not double but blurred vision???? They say i'm fine (heard that one before haha) but John is still afraid to drive with me hahaha I've been to 3 different Dr's who say my rx is fine but again, I still have problems???

Maybe your onto something here..............thanks :(

Whiskey and CHOCOLATE would be my suggestion for you.
Be strong.......aren't we always............ :)

patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Everytime I get my eyes tested, supposedly they're ok. As far as blurred--I get that if I try to read a number out of a phone book or read a map.Dr. calls this a CNS palsy of the eye. Wonder if OBPI - maybe standing or looking a little lopsided has anything to do with it. Anything's possible. Tell John to buy you a chimp . You could teach it to play chauffeur. Good idea about the chocolate. I have an emergency brownie mix in the cupboard. The kind with frosting and chunks of chocolate. Pat
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

OK Pat its your turn for a break!!!! no doubt about it. Lets see some good things going on for you....
OK now What is CNS Palsy??????
The eye thing..... YIKES!!!!!
For years now my son... always tell me " Mom I have never seen anyone have so much trouble getting glasses... you never get it right!! he thinks it is funny... or is it he just loves to tease me...
Like its my fault... everyone in my house wears glasses since first or second grade... (that is my kids and hubby).... I got glasses in my thirties... and they are never right! I have my eyes checked... glasses made... and I can't see out of them... go back they said they did it right.... get the glasses changed... duh... not right!... then I got contacts... and they have been fine for a while..... My eyes have changed and now this time the left eye is blurry... so I am going back... the dr. never noticed that I had Horner's... When he did he asked if I had lung problems... and also told me I have "beauty marks behind the eye"...
The glasses make my vision blur... the contact has to be changed... and this time I did not let him make my new eye glass prescription until we were sure the upgrade in the contacts worked...
My eyes were checked by the dr. and one of those new machines... and I still can't see right with them...grrrrrr on my way back again!!!! So glad to see I am not the only one. It is so embarassing... everyone goes gets glasses and comes home and can use them ... mine go back at least twice before they are right......

Thanks Pat... I feel better now....

Tina... let John Drive while you sleep in the car...
Or get the chimp... that's what I do... LOL.....

Reading is hard even with the glasses... I find it hard to focus. But I can read if something is at eye level like the computer. Since I put the paper on a table to read or the couch. I wonder if this is connected.

AND ONE MORE THING THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU BOTH.... FOR POSTING THIS.... I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD PROBLEMS GETTING GLASSES

Kath
patpxc

Post by patpxc »

The eye thing has something to do with the central nervous system and the muscle.Sometimes I feel like there is a blank spot in my vision but can't pinpoint where it is. My eyes test fine,though other than the usual stuff. I read an E-mail that talked about people with paralysis in a limb tilting their head slightly-which causes eye muscles to overwork. Another overuse thing??????????? Sounds reasonable, doesn't it. We don't sit or look straight because of the droopy shoulder--well, except for Tina,who has two droopy shoulders. I wish we could find an interested Dr. who would try to relate all of this. Kath, glad I'm not the only one with the eye problems. Guess they can call you,me and Tina the three blind mice!!! Pat
TINA-T

Post by TINA-T »

Thank you also Pat.............and Kath............

NO ONE can understand why I just can't GO GET GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I even have bifocals........alright I don't admit that very often haha

But as you say even with my new script I can't see!!!!

Pisses me right off, cause they keep saying everything is FINE................NOT

Well, now I can go back in and say.......HA HA, it's the 3 blind mice syndrome!! so there!!!!

I would be very very curious to know if anyone lese out here has had this problem???

Sharon.........Judy.....Michael.........Nancy?????
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Nancy Birk posted on the General board and gave a web site for Lazy eye...
While reading I noted the following page and thought it might help with this question.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/condition ... nglids.htm

Is this like the outa focus leading the outa focus...

The third blind mice... and Tina I have biofocals (sp) since I was a young as you... I just switched to contacts and little glasses... vain girl that I am.... I got biofocals before my brothers who are 13/14 years older..
Kath
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Sorry I did not find this when I posted before...
Check out this one... it refers to c4 and c8 injuries... now someone tell me how that effects my arm? I mean what does not function because of c4 & c8 injury... also does this relate to lung problems?

I know I have Horner's because I was always told my pupils did not dialate properly and of course with explaining it to me. and dumbo here just thought it was not important....I have always had the droopy eye lid and now I notice all photos must be taken from the right side of face because it is not aging the same... well at least part of me will be preserved.... LOL ---------
PS. Now the neuroligist noticed I have it too...

http://www.revoptom.com/handbook/sect6g.htm

Any comment on these sites..? Would be appreciated.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Hi All,

I'm 51 now and have been nearsighted since I was 9. Neither parent wore glasses until they were in their 40's and then, just for reading.
I have had bifocals since 1990, now I need special executive style glasses in addition to those just to see the computer screen clear!
I also have high intraocular pressure which can lead to glaucoma, and I have to use drops to lower the pressure. I'm having terrible side effects associated with the drops. UGH, is it worth it.
The eye doctor's have never been able to get my pupils to dialate for a proper eye exam. Is this related to Horner's?
Pat, I do sympathize with your troubles coming in three's. But really...sending over the booze and tranquilizers will not only INCREASE but also CAUSE that double vision problem!! LOL!!! Might give it a try for the other two, though!

Take Care,
Stephanie
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

While it is tempting to blame everything on the bpi, I'm wondering if there really is a connection here. We know that T1 causes Horner's but Horner's does not affect vision (other than some night blindness). It sounds like we all have some eye problems but there is no consistency, lazy eye, nearsightedness, farsightedness. Sounds like a mix of the general population to me. Obviously it needs careful study When I got trifocals the opthamalogist told me I was a textbook case, since I first got them at age 39 and have had a new prescription every 2 years since. Blurriness was typical till I had them adjusted. And he told me they would settle out in my late 40s and that is true as well.

One of the things the support groups gave to the doctors at the Paris symposium was a list of things we expect from them. In that list was an emphasis on more research for bpi and the longterm issues, and how this injury has affected the rest of the body. If the general appropriations funds for bpi research that UBPN and Govt. Relations Chair Sharon Gavagan managed to get into the U.S. budget remains in the budget, there will be millions for bpi research. There is much work to be done!

Nancy