hands smells from splint

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

hands smells from splint

Post by admin »

HELP!!! I have tried tons of soap & water. Alcohol. Peroxide, etc. can't seem to get the stinky smell off his hand. He has to wear his splint at night to bed and his hand sweats and stinks. Any suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!!!!
m&mmom

Re: hands smells from splint

Post by m&mmom »

you could try powder with corn starch in it.

Cindy
momx2+3

Post by momx2+3 »

Is there any way to get some air in there? It's no air flow that causes the stink to build up. Oh the memories of the stink. Yuck! (sorry)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whenever my daughter wore a splint that covered the palm of her hand, the bend of her elbow or inside her armpit, my OT punched holes in the fabric to allow for ventilation. And if you OT didn't drill holes, you can. Depending on the rigigity of the fabric and its width, just knock a few small nail holes to generate ventilation.
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Yes, I too remember those "stinky" splint days well. It was a challenging problem.

They did finally come up with a lighter, thiner splint material, with wholes in it. Jill always wore that soft fabric material, between her skin and the splint. They always gave us a supply with the splints. We called it a sock, since it came like a tube.

As far as powder....I like "Ammens" Medicated Deodorant Powder, original scent.
PeggyUBPN

Post by PeggyUBPN »

you might try washing his hand/arm with lemon juice and cover the slint inside with gold bond powder or some other powder that will absorb the moisture.

Good luck!

Peggy
dmom

Post by dmom »

I agree with Peggy! Gold Bond powder works great.

I also wonder, in the event that the other remedies don't do the trick, if baking soda might help.
momx2+3

Post by momx2+3 »

Jennifer, I purchased extra foam and strapping from Northcoast Medical. The foam comes in a box all rolled up and you can get a roll of the strapping. I got blue for a nice change. The supplies lasted for two surgeries worth of extra changes. It wasn't expensive.
kelli_

Post by kelli_ »

Try Shaving Cream. You have to let it set on the skin a while and it may take 2 treatments each bath time. Usually works great at cutting the stinch.
Kelli