Political Outreach for the In Touch Committee

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Ashleigh's Mom

Re: Political Outreach for the In Touch Committee

Post by Ashleigh's Mom »

Hi John et all,

Thanks for all you are doing to bring this serious issue to light. I would like to be a representative for Massachusetts. I will email you with my contact information. Also, can anyone tell me how Pitocin is related to OBPI? I saw it mentioned in Johns first entry and had not realized it plays a role in causing OBPI. As an aside, I was put on Pitocin (fast and furious, they kept upping the amount every 30 minutes)... thanks!
angryparent

Post by angryparent »

Hello Ashleigh's Mom,

Thanks for volunteering for Massachusetts. If you could please e-mail me your contact info (name, address, phones) at:

crow63@yahoo.com

Simply title the e-mail BPI, as I am putting it altogether on a spreadsheet for communication purposes.

No, onto the pitocin issue. I spoke with my lawyer on this, and he does not think we could use it in any type of legal manner, but it is my personal belief that pitocin causes the baby to come down the birth canal faster than nature intended. I could swear that I have seen swedish research that suggests statistical incidence with pitocin usage and BP injuries. So in my thought process, it seems to make some sense. This was also pointed out to me by another father who has three children, but was quite critical of pitocin usage, as are several others I know who are in the medical field. Well check this. If we could prove that the use of pitocin is statistically linked with BP injuries, then we could, in theory, go after the maker of pitocin. Even more interesting? King Pharaceuticals, is the maker of Pitocin. That company, was bought out this week, by Mylan labs. We're talking big drug conglomerates folks. If we have any lawyers who know class action law, what would it take to pursue such a case against these firms? In my heart, I do believe pitocin plays a part. However, as my lawyer pointed out, it is ultimately due to excessive traction that this injury is wrought upon our children. However I maintain, that shoulder dystocia would not be as prevalent without the careless use of pitocin, which is inherently dangerous to the mother by the way. So this is what I believe. If the pursuit of a class action lawsuit can also help to bring about education and awareness of this travesty, then I'm all for it. Whatever it takes. Politicians, drug companies, whoever. Eventually, the public will know what is happening to our children.

I hope this answers my feelings on the pitocin issue.

Again, thanks to you all for volunteering your valuable time. I'll have more details for everyone soon. Things are starting to move along personally for me, so we're getting ready to see the action phase soon.

God Bless,

John Anthony Ferrado
Ashleigh's Mom

Post by Ashleigh's Mom »

Hi angryparent,

I emailed you with my information. Thanks for the response regarding pitocin. It is quite interesting I agree! I've put on a new post asking how many women had pitocin during their labor... I'm curious to see!! Thanks again :-)
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Because we're so close to an election, I think that we should hold off from hitting our elected officials with the barrage that we have in mind. I'd rather be effective than early, and as you said Janet, we'd be wasting our time if we inundate someone who may not even be in office in a couple of months...

In my experience of politicians over here in the UK, and I don't expect they are that much different over there, they will do almost ANYTHING for you if you promise to vote for them! I reckon that just coming up to an election is THE perfect time to hit them with this...then hit them with it again after the election. What harm could it do? None, and you might well miss a golden opportunity if you don't...elections come only once every 4 years, right? Make the most of it guys. ;0)

Lizzy B
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Liz,

It really is best to wait till after the election.
We are talking about a National Proclamation which is a bill which goes through our Congress. If we start now, it will be wasted effort as it can't be done in time this year and will have to be done all again once the new representatives and senators take office. There will be many changes, most likely, in our elected officials.

Nancy
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Thanks for the reply Nancy, I understand now...I think!! Would anyone here be kind enough to email me and explain what a National Proclomation actually is? Is it a maybe a bit like a private members bill over here?

Liz B
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Actually, Liz, let me respond here as others may wonder too!

There are two ways within our government to have Awareness Week officially announced. The first way (which actually is very easy to get, well easy compared to the second way!) is to get a Presidential Proclamation, which is issued from the White House. But it is only valid for that single time, not in perpetuity.

We want the National Proclamation, which requires a bill that goes through our Congress, which would make the third week in October of every year Brachial Plexus Injury Awareness Week. These are much harder to get as it has to go through the process that any bill goes through AND because Congress is reluctant to do them anymore, preferring that groups like ours go the Presidential Proclamation route. Obviously there are many benefits to a National Proclamation, not the least of which is raising awareness among our elected officials!

UBPN's goal is to time this National Proclamation with our next camp, which will be a city camp in Washington D.C., during Awareness Week NEXT (2005) year.

Nancy

lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Many thanks for the reply Nancy (AND Kath! :0))It's a bit clearer now..but what happens after you get the proclamation? (positive thoughts there, see!) Excuse my ignorance, what are the benefits? I still have so many questions!

Liz B (ignorant Brit..!)
SwtBrooke

Post by SwtBrooke »

Anger converted to action !!! So glad you posted again John and YESSSS I'd love to represent ARIZONA and help in any way I can to educate any and all about OBPI !!! I've Emailed you as well and look forward to hearing from you.

God Bless
Sharon
angryparent

Post by angryparent »

Sharon,

You're good to go! Thanks for your activism and enthusiasm!!

Now, just a general note. Let's not waste this time as we gear up for the post-election blitz. Let's use this opportunity to build this network. I have close to 30 "soldiers" so far. Let's try to involve the people we know as well. I welcome participation by folks who may not have been personally effected by BPI, but perhaps are contacts or friends that we know who are politically active, connected, or otherwise savvy. We could use all the assistance possible, and sympathetic awareness can be just as effective.

Anyone who has any specific ideas on how to improve or expand this effort are always welcome. Creativity and passion will make this work.

More details to come. Thanks again to all those involved, for your time and your patience.

I anticipate being done with our move sometime in the next 3 weeks, so once that is done, I will update everyone as to my contact information.

Bless you all,

John Anthony Ferrado