Medical bracelts-

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
2kids4us

Medical bracelts-

Post by 2kids4us »

We were looking into getting a medical bracelet for our robpi child. I've seen a few companys on the internet. Has anyone ever ordered one? What information fit on the tag since they seem so small?
Thanks! Marie
admin
Site Admin

Re: Medical bracelts-

Post by admin »

www.medicalert.org

there are specific abbreviations that medical personel know that you might not know - the person at medic alert will help you with this

also you give them all the info - some of it will be on the bracelet and some will be in their system

they can put on the bracelet for the person to call medic alert stat for more info

you can also update the info online anytime you want

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can ask your pediatrician where and how to get one. I know in MInnesota you have to get a prescription from the doctor. You can get one at any pharmacy. This is a good idea so blood pressure and shots are not administered in the injured arm.
2kids4us

Post by 2kids4us »

Thanks for your responses. Null, Medicalert was the first site I spoke too before I posted. They were really helpful. Do you (or anyone else) have a medical bracelet through them?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

we have the medic alert bracelet - it's a sports bracelet with dinosaurs on it
2kids4us

Post by 2kids4us »

Guest, when I spoke to medicalert they said they will help with the info to put on the back of the medallion. What info fit? I think we are going to have to go with the children's link bracelet first because of our child's young age but then move up to the sport bracelet. Does your child were it on the injured or non arm? Thanks for your input!
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

My 7 year old daughter wears her link bracelet on her right arm because she wears a splint on her left wrist.We tried the sports one first but she was 5 and it was lost in 3 weeks. At first she played with it in class and the teacher took it from her so I had to explain its importance and have it returned then she lost it on the playground. The link one locks so the child cannot remove it, heck I have one and it took 3 nurses to get it off me before surgery. Now I use the one with the titanium watch band. I really recommend the link one for a child though. I have used Medic alert.org for 8 years for myself and then for my child. I have no problem with them and love the fact I can go online and change the medical info or personal info on their website myself and know that with them being international they can always provide that info i put in to whomever calls. Michaela fit on her bracelet:

L arm Brachial Plexus/ Klumpkes Palsy, L Eye Horners Syndrome Allergies/strawberries

So you can see quite a bit will fit. Hope this helps.
LeeAnne
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ours says

NO VP or BP in LT arm (this means no venipuncture or blood pressure in left arm)
severe allergies
call stat

then online we have the list completely written up,
with doctors names and numbers
with medications lists and dosages
and I can go online and update that

we have the sports band HOWEVER I wonder if ER personnel know to look for all the "new" kinds of alert bracelets in their rushing around.
I think I'm going to switch to the normal link kind.
I've always wondered about this and I don't want to chance it.
2kids4us

Post by 2kids4us »

Thank you, thank you all. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I have a much better idea now of what I need in a medical bracelet and where to find one.
Thanks so much!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

by the way, look at the emergency card found here http://ubpn.org/awareness

this is a list of the information that should be listed on your child's account at medic alert