Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

HI I HAVE BEEN ON TOPAMAX FOR THREE WEEKS NOW AND I HAVE HAD MIGRANS AND RADIO LIKE SOUNDS TOO LIKE IN A DAYS AND I CANT TALLRATE NOISES THE LAST THREE DAYS HAVE BEEN REALLY BAD. MY HEAD FEELS LIKE IT WANT TO EXPLOAD.BUT FOR ABOUT A LITTLE OVER A WEEK I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SLEEP. I ALSO HAVE FIBROMYALGIA AND BENN ON MED AFTER MED AND I AM ONLY 30 YEARS OLD . IT WAS CAUSED FROM A REAR END ACCENDENT 11/14/2004. SOORY I DONT TYPE TO GOOD AND ITS 1:15 AM I CANT SLEEP AND I ALSO HAVE HAD IN THE LAST TWO WEELS PROBLEMS WITH MY LEFT FOOT AND RIGHT MOSTLY (R) NUMBNESS OFF ON ON THOUGH THE DAY EVEN WHEN I TRY TO DRIVE MY HANDS TWO MY FEET A LOT LEGS SOME TIMES . I JUST FOUND OUT THAT NEURONTIN HAS A LAWSUIT GOINGON AND THEY HAD ME ON THAT MED FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND THERES A LOT OF REALLY BAD SIDE EFFECT .AND I HAVE PROBLEMS THE DR COULD NOT EXPLAIN BUT THEY ARE SOME OF THE SIDE EFFECTS . P S I GIVE YOU LUCK AND GOD BLESS YOU WE HAVE A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

i have been on zoloft for depression for about 5 years and have suffered from migraines and daily chronic headaches since i was little (i'm 36 now). my neuro put me on topomax in oct. i had all the side effects: sleepy, forgetful, tingling in extremities, depression, etc. but, one thing that i have aquired since taking topomax, is geographic tongue. its a auto-immune disease where painful lesions appear on your tongue. i have been told by my neuro that this is not one of the side effects. a friend, and fellow migraine sufferor, told me that her neuro told her that topomax reduces the affects of zoloft. when i realized this i stopped taking it. i've noticed an improvement. the lesions on my tongue are not nearly as bad, i have more energy and motivation and i don't feel as depressed. has anyone else suffered from sores on the tongue? and has anyone else heard of the zoloft/topomax conflict?

k
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi my name is chris,,i hope you get this e'mail and respond,, even though i am male,, i just started taking topamax full time about 2 weeks ago and have noticed a significant drop in libido, i mean,,the day before i took it i was fine,, and i'm only 34 and the day i started taking 25mg,,the next day i had problems sexually,,so i am just wondering if your problems passed after a while,,or are you off of the topamax?,,please respond,,thanks,,chris oaks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi my name is chris,,i just switched over to topamax,,like you ,,i was on depakote e.r. for a while and tried to lose weight,,and couldn't,,lol,, have you noticed a drop in libido?,, i have,, almost imediately,,i was wondering if you had noticed or experienced this as well. please respond. your situation is almost identical to mine. i take my topamax for my epilepsy as well.,,thanks again chris oaks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Exact same combination of drugs you are taking and yes same thing for me too. How much topamax are you taking? I am taking 25mg twice daily along with wellbutrin.
Board Moderator

Post by Board Moderator »

NOTE FROM THE UBPN BOARD MODERATORS

This thread is closed to any future posting all posts after this date will be deleted.
The subject of this thread does not meet our Mission Statement.

We wish to help you find the support you need.
Here are some sites dedicated to topomax...

http://p217.ezboard.com/bthetopamaxtrip

http://www.topamax.com/patients/index.htm

http://remedyfind.com/rem.asp?ID=5536

http://www.topamax.com/news/index.htm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I am having sexual side effects,and numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. I have also experienced a great deal of cognitive problems.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have had daily chronic migraines for 35 years trying everything to no avail.I am on 400mgs. of Topamax a day.I have had all the side effects mentioned here,and still do(except the radio thing). I STILL get migraines a couple days a week and have headaches daily,butthey are a "tolerable" level(probably killer to someone else i suppose).I eat Imitrex for the other non-tolerable ones.All in all meds cost $445.00 a month to actually feel somewhat human.I search for words of things,places and objects(i might have even just said!)because of bad short term memory.I even had a system for my meds before i got a pill minder(because i couldn't remember if i took my morning pill or not).When I worked,I would be given directions on what to do,but it would seem like it would go in..then right out...total blank.I have been on this med forover 2 1/2 years now and i still have the same side effects...i did lose 30 lbs.that i gained from all those OTHER meds that DIDN"T work!You ask why do i stay on this if it is not working that great?..It is the only one that has at least given me some hope of a little life...and that is better than none when you've suffered with them as long as i have..... I am only 44..thats most of my life.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've just started taking Topiramate about a month ago, and thus far I've no complaints. Back in 1983 I was on Dilantin, and it broke me out in a serious rash all over my body from head to toe (inside of my mouth, ears, and I mean everywhere).

As far as depression is concern I take Paxil for that along with my other medication, regardless of what they are. I never cease to take that, that is one of the first questions that I ask my doctor will that have an effect on the medication that I'm taking already (Paxil & blood pressure medication). Those are two medications that I can not really do without.

You may also, include the migrane medication as a concern with the other meds'. Thus far on the topiramate, I've experienced no side effects, and I'm in North Carolina and the sun and humidity has been extremely high. My migraines have been like zero since starting this medication. As of this date and time, I've only positive things to say. But I will keep you posted as future changes occur.
Take care
Loren
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Taking topomax has been a balancing act for me. After Elavil was failing to subdue my migraines and I could not afford to take time off work to go to emergency, for a shot to put a stop to them, I completed a contract job with a migraine that had been running for a total of 35 days, a minimal job reference for possible future job hiring. They stated that it was very noticable when I was suffering from my migraines; my performance went from 150% to 50% productivity.
Got an appt. with the neurologist who prescribed topomax and instructed me to increase the topomax for two weeks from 25 mg/day first week to 50 mg/day second week while taking the Elavil and in the third week go increase to 75mg/day and discontinue the Elavil. On the first two days of the transition each week, I couldn't drive;the third week was when the tingling was at it's best, the occasional slurred speach, total tiredness, inability to complete sentences with simple words (mind blanks); I was still having migraine so topomax was increased to 50mg/twice a day. After the initial couple of days of adjustment I went to a different part of the country as my migraines are effected by the weather, while away I was more active, eating regularly, basically living more moderately and the side effects were more tolerable, unfortunately I had to return home and did not keep constant what I had started, thus the balancing act.

Numbness-From head to feet(shaved my hair off my scalp was crawling so bad)
MeltDown-get overheated quickly and keep forgetting about this complication with this medication; it is a very serious side effect; make sure someone watches over you if you suffer from this, get some where you can cool down quick!
Everything in Moderation-if you eat proper meals side effects are minimal at best
Weight loss-I have lossed weight and the doctor stated that it levels off after 2 years.
Slurred speech-I was driving on a bad day, caught speeding, policeman asked me if I had anything to say, I was afraid to speak as I wasn't sure if I would slur my words and he had caught me speeding! If I had slurred my response, could have been more than a speeding ticket!
The lack of migraine is outweighing the side effects;the loss of weight will be great if I can loose the 95 lbs all the other drugs they have given me helped me gain!