arm size

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
parisi

arm size

Post by parisi »

I was wondering if anyone knows of a product that can be worn under a shirt, that makes your arm and shoulder look more normal sized as compared to our non injured arm. Personally my injured arm and shoulder are now so much smaller, since there is no muscle there it looks very obvious that i have an injury. And hope there is a product that will fill out my shirts. Any help would be great.
ED
admin
Site Admin

Re: arm size

Post by admin »

My left arm has 5 nerves avulsed and is withered away and my right arm and shoulder where torm off in a tractor accident. On the amputated side I have had a "shoulder filler" made to replace the look on my shoulder and to hold my clothes up. I guess you could have a similar thing. It is made out of a rubber material or pea light. My biggest problem is it is so hot in summer and also the way it attaches to me, swtrapping right around my stomach and chest. Anyway ask about this at an amputee clinic.
Gayle
Australia
Gayle Oz

Post by Gayle Oz »

I have bpi (full avusion of nerves on left side) and amputation on right arm and shoulder. What I suggest is what they call a shoulder filler for amputees with no shoulder to make them look more square and to keep clothes up. It is moulded to your shape and is made out of a light rubbery material. I don't wear mine often as it is very hot in summer and is bulky the way it straps right around my chest and waist. I am hoping to modify mine to overcome these problems.
Check it out at an amputee clinic.
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Hello
I make that question to a plastic surgeon. He advise to fill inside the skin, with a product, the Bio-Alcamid. Can see info on http://www.bioalcamid.com/upper.htm

Bye
Paulo
parisi

Post by parisi »

Thanks for the information Gayle. I don't know of any amputation clinics, but i'll ask around.
Ed
parisi

Post by parisi »

Paulo, do you know anyone who has had this done? I'm not looking forward to any more operations, had my fair share of them. But this may be a good option.
Thanks for replying
Ed
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Hi,
I dont know anyone, i like to know!
I am interested, but is expensive, and the insurance company dont want to pay because says it does not improves my work, is stupid, they prefer paying the psychiatrist and medicament to my depression. Here (Portugal) it costs 500euros = 10cc, usually for large area you need 60cc.
The doc explain that you dont need operation, is liquid (solution) injected. That after gets little solid. And they can retreat the same way, if is not ok.
It seems very nice, but until now is just doc talk.
Paulo
http://www.geocities.com/paulo_go
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I have an implant in my arm that looks very nice, its still in the works but its much better than to have nothing. I sow my doctor last March and he wants to replace the implant that I have now with one made out of gortex. The same material lands End uses in their boots, it a weights-less material doctors use mainly for faces and this would be the worlds largest in the human body if I have it done. I have had 5 surgeries to get this implant right and its still being worked on. But its better than nothing and I look like I've been working out. If anyone is interested in my doctor let me know. I go sleeveless and no one notices. C5,6 and 7 are gone.
parisi

Post by parisi »

How is the recovery process after surgery, is it painful because they are restreching the skin? And does the implant add noticable weight to your arm, just wondering if it hurts your shoulder with the extra weight. Can i ask why you needed 5 surgeries. I don't want to go through that. any feedback would be great.
Ed
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Hi herff94,, can you share some pics of your arm/implants?
Paulo