Dr. For BPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
gabe

Dr. For BPI

Post by gabe »

My brother has been told he has a BPI. Looking for a doctor who would be the best. He can't lift his right arm, but has good motor skills below the elbow. It happened in a motorcycle crash. Any help would be appreciated. thanks gabe
lizzyb

Re: Dr. For BPI

Post by lizzyb »

Hiya...sorry to hear about your brother. Your first place to look for a doctor is on the resources page of this site ...here is the link...http://ubpn.org/medicalresources/
Just click on the link on the page to find the nearest Doctor to you, either by country or state.

I hope you find someone soon; while you are looking, it's VERY important to bear in mind that you find a doctor who is experienced in treating adults as the treatment protocols are somewhat different to those for the children who are injured at birth. Hope this helps a bit; if you are in the USA, I have heard that the team at the Mayo clinic are extremely professional and very experienced in treating adults...you can read about them in various posts on this forum, try this thread http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... hread=9210
Good luck! Let us know how you get on

LizzyB http://www.tbpi-group.org
Jess & Kyle

Post by Jess & Kyle »

Hello. I am so sorry to hear about your brother. My husband was injured on Nov 1st in a 4-wheeler accident. My husband had surgery by Dr Nath on Mar 2nd. He had 2 nerve transfers done to regain movement in his shoulder and bicep. He is finally seeing movement ~ he can move his shoulder up and his therapist can feel movement in his bicep. He also started electrical stimulation therapy yesterday. In our opinion, Dr Nath is the best. He is the most caring, compassionate doctor we have ever met. We are so grateful that we found him. He is the type of dr who you can email anytime, and he always emails back within the same day. So, I would highly recommend Dr Nath!

Jessica
gabe

Post by gabe »

Thanks for the reply. Hope it works out for your husband. Do you know the best E-mail for Dr. Nath? thanks gabe
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Dr.Naths email is drnath@drnathmedical.com best of luck to you both. i hnave emailed you I Hope yoiu recieved it!

Courtney xo
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hi Gabe,

Sorry for the delay in responding - I've been away. If you are interested & able to pursue more than one opinion, I'd highly recommend the Mayo Clinic team of BPI doctors (located in Rochester, Minnesota). They are still compiling info to post on the ubpn medical resources guide, so aren't yet listed - but I didn't want that to stop you from considering them.

Because they work as a team, with different specialties, they are able to offer surgical options not always available at other clinics. My teenage son had all 5 nerves avulsed, and with surgery last year is now able to shrug his shoulder, bend his arm, & make/release a hand grip. Not only that, his neurological pain is greatly diminished & he's been able to reduce his pain meds by well over half.

Feel free to email me directly if you want more info.

Take care & keep us posted.

Ellen
gabe

Post by gabe »

We are from Austin TX. Thanks for the info. We are willing to travle anywhere to get the best team of Dr.s. to work on Mike. If anyone has time and wants to call (512)750-9389 or sanchezracing73@yahoo.com
Susana

Post by Susana »

Hi, I am from Houston and Dr. Shenaq and Dr. Nath did the only surgery I have had. I highly recommend them. I also think that people should see different Doctors to get an idea if possible. That was not my case since my accident was more just brachial plexus injury and besides that, I was pregnant. http://drnathbrachialplexus.com/

http://www.debakeydepartmentofsurgery.o ... inic_pk=18

I have also heard about the Mayo Clinic being very good.
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hi Gabe,

I emailed you this afternoon. Feel free to continue asking questions, because somebody "out there" will probably be able to help.

Take care,

Ellen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are having trouble with insurance. So far they have offered to pay $3,000 of a $38,000 surgery that we are going to have with Dr. Nath. They said it was because Dr. Nath is out of network. Probably a common thing, but not sure.

Please respond if you have had this type of problem or know of what I should do now.

The injury was in May of 2004. It is now Aug. 31st. I know the surgery has to be done very soon.

thanks in advance for any help,
Gabe
(512)750-9389 or sanchezracing73@yahoo.com