Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

are you still on the topomax now?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

my doactor just gave it to me for migranes. I am afraid because of all the side effects. Do you really fell that it is safe?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I'm a 28 year old mother of two rapid cycling bipolar. Also have migranes that run in strings, not as often or severe as many other migraine suffers though. Anyways, I am currently on seroquel as a mood stabalizer and flouxitine as an antidepressant. I came off of depakote after a little more than a year of hell. Then off of Lithium for about 8 months of the same. I have been on too many all otgether to list. I really really want to try topomax. I am aware of many of the side affects. I a m struggling with my doctor for apporval of this med. I'm doing alot better in the past few months than I ever have so I might be crazy to want to change. I just feel like theres got to be something else out there and topomax may be it, to help out just a little but more. I'm used to dealing with sideaffects and am not one of these people who whine and over exaturate whats really happening to them. I think if I can deal with the beginning stage it may make a world of difference for me. Any info. would be appreciated. Thank you, Jessica
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on tmax for 18 months now for migraine prevention. I had the tingling at first in my legs and feet and I still have trouble recalling names at times but I also had that when I tried anti-depressants. I did not have any migraines for over a year after starting the drug. Recently I have had some but I think that those are sinus related. I did lose 15-18 lbs when I first went on it and I can't drink anything carbonated. I am currently taking 100mg per day and sometimes I take 200mg. I am trying to get pregnant so I will have to quit taking it and an not looking forward to migraines again. I am pleased with the results of it because I can lead a normal life and migraines no longer run my life.....
michille

Post by michille »

I have been on tmax for 18 months now for migraine prevention. I had the tingling at first in my legs and feet and I still have trouble recalling names at times but I also had that when I tried anti-depressants. I did not have any migraines for over a year after starting the drug. Recently I have had some but I think that those are sinus related. I did lose 15-18 lbs when I first went on it and I can't drink anything carbonated. I am currently taking 100mg per day and sometimes I take 200mg. I am trying to get pregnant so I will have to quit taking it and an not looking forward to migraines again. I am pleased with the results of it because I can lead a normal life and migraines no longer run my life.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Michille,
Based on what I was told by a neurologist I am not sure you will return to "migraine hell" when you stop taking topomax. My understanding is that topomax should "reset" certain areas of the brain that are responsible for triggering migraines and that after a period of time, all patients should be able to taper off of topomax and still be able to enjoy the benefits of fewer migraines. This was to be true for those individuals who suffer from hormone induced migraines , I believe, because I was then told that one may need to resume topomax again latter in life as hormones go crazy again but again would be able to taper off of the drug after a period of time with the lasting benefits of the drug.
Good luck-
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on Topamax now for alittle over 1 month started at 25 mg and am now at 50mg at bedtime . I still get the headaches once in awhile but they don't seem to be so intense, I don't think it is from the topamax, its because I havent had anything with Aspartame in it, since I was trying to figure out what may be triggering them I was told it could be that . If I have something that I havent checked the label on eat it then get a super bad Migraine I retrace my steps and sure enough like last week I was having those Welshes fruit juice bars (no sugar added) figuring they were all natural well guess what they had aspartame. Stopped eating them headache gone in acouple of days after its gone out of my system. So maybe just a suggestion (Aspartame ) might be others migraine trigger problems too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't know if you're aware of this, but Vioxx can cause ocular migraines. I had to quit taking it because of this.
needhelpwithwife

Is topamax making my wife crazy?

Post by needhelpwithwife »

I didn't know where to turn, so i did a search on Topomax side effects, and found this forum. My wife has been talking Topomax for about 203 months now, its supposed to be an attempt at preventing migraines (she gets VERY severe ones- the kind you end up in the hospital).

Anyway, over the last month or so, we have been fighting more and more, and a lot of times its about things that i never rememebr happening. At first, i thought i was just getting distracted and not remembering hearing things she said, or not paying attention to what i said, but the last couple weeks there have been several times that she has told me details about conversations we had that i KNOW never happend. She also has retold stories about conversations that I had with peolpe (and then told her about- she wasn't there) and she tells them as if she was the one having the conversation, not me (even down to the expressions on their faces and the clothes that they were wearing.

I read on some of the posts that some people here vocies, and a 'radio' in their head, and it made me wonder if its possible that the medicine is causing her to hear and remember things that did not occur. i've been getting really worried that she might by getting schizophrenia...

please someone help- if you've experienced this with topomax, or know someone who has, please post back...
kimlovesmickey

Post by kimlovesmickey »

Hi I have been on Topomax for 6 month and I now have some memory loss at times but not to bad but the worst problem is my right side tingles alot. I had to have a Hysterctomy in May and after the sugery the top of my right leg is totally numb in one spot from above the knee to half way up the leg, I have no feeling in it.At times before my right side would go numb but not like know. I was in A car accident which caused me to have really bad headaches and the topomax seems to help a little with them but not a whole lot. The numbness is really scary and I go to the Dr in July and I will tell him then, can someone tell me if they are having the same problems with any numbness.