I didnt know what a BPI was until.....

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: I didnt know what a BPI was until.....

Post by admin »

I awoke from HEART BYPASS TO BILATERAL bpi.( #/2000)
They could never explain it and the lawyer researched it and claimed I did not have a case. -- listed as a possible complication to the surgery.

Anyway-- one arm is almost normal the second has been steadly improving-- controlling the pain is important-- I love Neurtotin. It stopped most of the "firings" and that helped in therapy to work the muscles-- got use of the arm back but still poor use of fingers on the most affected side. I did not have surgery-- just alot of exercises.
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

I am new to this forum: after 17 months of research I can't believe I just stumbled on it now...probably because my condition was never refered to a BPI but
rather "long thoracic nerve palsy".
It has been a long uphill battle for me as well.
I incurred this during an emergency surgery for a ruptured bowel in Aug/2000...so have been living with it for 17 months.
I suffer from chronic pain in my back, shoulders,
and upper arm as well as shooting pains in my
right arm, hand and wrist.
I can't raise my arm more than 45 degrees in any direction.
Doctors here had never seen this before and so I
guess it's very rare...especially after an unrelated
surgery. KJ you are the second person I have found
who incurred this during an abdominal procedure...
coincidence????
I did not get a diagnosis from the neurologist
until several months afterward and did not see
a neurosurgeon until 71/2 months living with
this. He was the first doctor to refer to it
as an "iatrogenic" injury (ie. medically induced).
He, however, thought that it may be caused by the
direct-line IV in my neck. He wanted to explore the area but gave me a poor outlook since I was so far along. So here I suffer with limited options, like the rest of you.
Legaly I had little recourse due to having no "proof"
of the mechanism of injury, having no disability
insurance(not available to me at my place of work),
and "the statute of limitations" being 1 yr. here
in Ontario, Canada. I am presently battling it out with
the Canada Pension Plan disability...have been turned
down twice. I am unable to work and have no income.
I too have tried anti-inflamatories, NSAID'S- vioxx,
celebrex, mobocox, and ampitriptyline all to no avail.
My GP will not prescribe anything stronger.
I have tried physio, bracing, etc but for me
complete rest and heat/cold packs seem to be the only
form of temporary relief.
It is comforting to have found a group of people
I can really relate to...especially KJ...I would love to discuss this further with you if you'd like to e-mail me.
I have a webpage which now has about 35 members
called "The Winged Scapula"(check out my homepage info). It has been a place
for discussion and support and I have many articles and links there. Unfortunately, we are a small
group and no one really has any definite solutions.
Please feel free to visit, join, post etc.
Gotta go...thanks for allowing me to vent.
Nan
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

hi nan, welcome aboard-sorry to be thick, i can't make out if you have a winging scapula because of the bpi, or if you have something else like a bpi, or what. We had a woman who used to post here about something similar who had corrective surgery which went terribly wrong, your site might be of interest to her. Thanks for posting here, there seem to be so many aspects to this injury. Nice to 'meet' you! Jen nz
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Hi Nan

I went to your website it is great! Sorry about your injury. I can't believe how many people are injured like this during surgery. Wonder how many have not found a web site yet?

I am bpi birth injured and have scapular winging. I did not even know what it was called. I just knew something was wrong with my wing because of the birth injury and I always had a back ache... I never realized how many people could get it from something other then a bpi injury....
Now carlessness during surgery can cause it.

A Chiropractor helped me a few year ago. It really relieved a 50 year old pain!!!.

Glad you found the site...and Welcome

Kath
George

Post by George »

Hello Nan.....welcome aboard. Will definately see your site. Makes me wonder if anyone is teaching about the byproducts that surgery can induce.....attention to details ?????

I'm a lefty bpi from October 99. Big tree......the rest is history. Glad you found us !!!! We are a great bunch of winging wonders :o)

George
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Thank you all for your kind words of support!
Finding this forum was the best thing that has happened
to me in 17 months.
I will visit often and I wish you all
success in your searches for answers.
Nan
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Hi Jenny,
You asked if I had something like a bpi or what?
That's a good question because the neuro's I went to
really didn't know what to make of it but finally
labelled it "long thoracic nerve palsy".
It's a misnomer because the palsy implies it will go
away...no sign of that happening.
I think it's a little different because of my winging
scapula and my inability to raise my arm?
I really don't know what to think for sure.
Do you remember the name of the woman you spoke of?
I'd like to read her post if possible.
Thanks for your concern.
Nan
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Nan, the woman I posted about unfortunately doesn't post here any more but I'm still in contact with her and I've mailed her about you, hopefully she'll get in contact with you. Her posts were on the 'old' message board (this one's fairly new) so I can't access them. It seems there are quite a few of you out there injured by surgeons. Anyway, glad you found us, liked your site :0)
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

jenny,
Thank you much. I did receive an e-mail from
that lady who shall remain nameless. It was
very enlightening speaking with her.
Thanks again.
Nan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, I live in Pennsylvania and it is coming on very close to 2 years from my spinal surgery. Within a week of my surgery I had no use of my right arm. The pain was unbelievable! I have 4 children and I have never experienced such pain. I was diagnosed at first with a shoulder problem, then it went to a rotor cuff injury and I began therapy. After a month of painful therapy I changed therapists and they then contacted the doctor and requested for him to order an EMG beause of what they felt. The EMG proved that it was a serious Brachial plexus injury of the upper trunk and they changed my therapy, medication and I was quite upset because of losing the use of my right arm. Being right handed din ot help the situation. I was unable to return to work and had to have onstant care. I was really not able to take care of myself. I began to have some movement after 7 months. At this point I do have some range of motion back but lack of strength in the arm. I can now at least take care of my own personal hygiene. I am on diability now due to that and also other problems. I have not yet contacted an attorney. Was wondering if anyone has had this problem. My doctor stands behind it being virile. I would appreciate anything you could help me with. Thank you....Darlene