Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
johngwennate

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by johngwennate »

I have been on this med. for a while now and have lost 40 lbs. I have been taking it for migraines, bi-polar, and depression. At first losing the weight wasn't such a bad thing but as I continue to lose the weight I wonder how much more my body will continue to lose. Will I hit a certain weight and just stay there or should I go off of the medicine? I used to love to eat and now I don't care if I eat or not. I am worried that I will turn into an anorexic at 32. Has anyone heard of this drug being related to that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Our 14 year old son has been on depakote for seizures. It wasn't fully controlling them. We tried keppra - that was very bad, side effect wise. We switched him to Topomax. The only bad side effect is "trembling" or shaking. We have decided that the shaking is much better than seizures.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know your feeling. I am on 200mg a day. I have to function with 100mg in the am and 100mg in the pm. I feel like I just exist now, I no longer live. I use to write songs, now I could not write to lines that ryhme.I am afraid to stop the medication, afraid to face the fear that lies behind that action. I know this thing, I hate it. I am losing use of my arm, my leg and my memory is leaving me...I am in my 30's...this drug should be f.d.a. investigated...before others fall prey to its effects.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

finally, a comment i can relate to. i have been on topamax for a month 400 mg a day. i am epileptic, chronic migraines, and bi-polar with pschizo tendicies. everyone tells me how awful this medicine is and how much ive changed and how im taking the devils brew and how all i want is to be well.. the side affects eventually will go away and i will be finally ok i have i have been on all of the anti seizure listed meds allthe migraine reventive meds the migraine pain meds the anti depressents the the prozac,, then diagnosed changinginging to bipolar types of lithiums typed you know um like trileptal types i dont know just leadinding into topamax , you know the drill , well anyway, ect ect...... i just want to be normal and OK!!! this is my last chance . i hope your ok and i hope everyone else here will be ok Blessed Bee And i pray for Topamaxchris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on Topamax for 1 month now. I titrated up from 25mg to my present 100 mg. I assume that's where I'll be staying for awhile. I take it for migraines. Among other side-effects I seem to have developed strong arm-pit odor - especially when I'm hot - I'm very worried with summer coming! Does anyone have any suggestions on any good antipersperant-deoderant that they use if they have the same problem?? I am female - so no mens old spice please!! LOL! THANKS
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hello I lost 11 lbs so far been on it for a month so far and and it helps some but I get a fling in my throat and at night when I lay seems like I want to spit but I found you are to drink a lot of liquid with this medicine .I found to that my feet get numb and hands sometimes and my doctor told me this was because of the medicene and I smell diff. stuff when I walk pass things in a room that others cannot smell and it is the medicene. sound crazy and I almost did not want to tell the it but I did tell the the doctor and she did lisen.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on Topamax for 7 days now at 25 mg. per day at bedtime for chronic daily headaches and migraines. The first 4 days were terrible because my neurologist told me to ween off of Ibuprofen within 2 weeks so I went from 800 mg 2-4 times a day to 400 mg PER day in those first 4 days. I didn't realize that I was so dependent on the ibuprofen...I had body aches and a constant headache not to mention the side effects from the Topamax which were tingling in my hands and feet, funny vision, fatigue, deep lower backache, nausea in the mornings and I was very thirsty and had to pee constantly. I started drinking more water and taking extra vitamins. The extra water actually makes the side effects seem to be less noticable. On the 5th day I was no longer nauseaus and now on the 8th day I don't have a headache. I am still feeling a bit sleepy and still have a bit of the tingling. Sleep is great at night other than having to get up to go to the bathroom. And to those who have complained about the big "O"...no problem here.... :-) I hope this works for my headaches because I have suffered for many years with daily headaches of some sort and am really sick of them! Good Luck to you all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am amazed to see all of the side effects posted. I too was on Topomax, (100mg), and I discontinued use after only three weeks b/c of the awful side effects. I had major tingling in my hands and feet and they would go numb - it felt like they were "asleep" about 10 hours a day! My acne also got notably worse, and I was lethargic all the time. I would have to take 2-3 hour naps daily just to function. I also experienced the loss of concentration and memory - probably due to the severe tiredness! Does anyone have suggestions on what I should take in its place? I was originally put on it for mood stablization. What else is out there?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi! I have been on Topomax now for a year. It really does work, thank God! After years of having to suffer with horrific migrains I had been through all the other medications and really thought that I was not going to have any hope of getting rid og them and then I got this prescription. I had read so many horror stories about the side effects and decided to try it out anyway, and I am glad I did.
I had the numbness and the memory loss. It continued with each time the dose got upped. But, after 3 weeks of staying on a set dose, it went away. Small price to pay considering the headaches went away. I was thrilled. I had almost given up on teh drug because of the memory loss and the numbness and tingling in my hands and feet plus my face, but decided to give it some time. My blood work was run to make sure everything was fine (make sure your Dr does that too!) and then I just realized my body needed to adjust to the drug and since the violent headaches were gone, I could deal with those side effects while it got in to my system. I had to actually write down where my car was when I went to the mall one day so I wouldn't forget where I parked it! LOL, but then I forgot which pocket I put the paper in that I wrote it down on! Crazy! Had to laugh at myself. Anyway, it does work.
I do have a question though for anyone who might have had this happen, recently my cholestrol has gone up to a high number and my regular Dr can't figure out how. I went from a size 22 last year to a size 10 this year (yeah ME! LOL) and have been eating well. I have always had very high GOOD cholestrol numbers and my bad cholestrol number was never too bad, just borderline but this time BOTH are too high. The only thing I have done different is to add the Topomax in to me. Has anyone else had an increase in there Cholestrol? I am wondering if maybe that has done something and inhibited the breakdown of my cholestrol since this drug works through the liver.
Any input would be great. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am a 23 year old female and I've Been taking Topomax for about a month now starting at 25 mg twice per day increasing to 25 mg 6 times per day as tolerated to treat bipolar disorder. So far I am doing wonderful on this medication. I am greatful for the weighloss effect seeing as that for years of using antidepressants, antianxiety and other mood-stabilizing meds, I've gained over 65 pounds. Immediately, I noticed the numbness and tingling in my extremities, more notibly in my hands. Sodas tasted flat, so I just stopped drinking them. However, to answer your question, taking 800 mg of folic acid will aleviate the tingling and numbness. Make sure you ask your doctor before you start this regiment as always. Good luck everyone!