scarring from surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Lindakids

scarring from surgery

Post by Lindakids »

I have a question to any of you that have had surgery, nerve grafts, muscle transfers or anything like this to do with surgery for BPI.
I have talked to several and they have very bad wide scarring in the neck area.
Does everyone get this? Why? Is it because of those that have scar tissue removed during surgery? Or is it just because it is the nature of the surgery itself. Any information would be appreciated.
Susana

Re: scarring from surgery

Post by Susana »

It is normal that's where they check your nerves and do different kind of things.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

If you're going into surgery and are concerned about excessive scarring, insurance usually covers the cost of a requested plastic surgeon to come in and close all the entry points and wound areas. Cost is usually covered due to the extent of the operation. I hope this helps, if you were thinking in this direction.

Christopher
pebbles

Re: shoulder girdle neuritis>>winging

Post by pebbles »

can anyone tell me if i will ever look as well as get back to how i was before the physotherpyist hurt me as I didnt have it until she done some deep tissue massages and other things to me and this is how i ended up like it.not fair when i went there with just a sore shoulder and came out like this and can hardly do my normal day things because of it.I havea young family of 4 children to look after.I hope someone can tell me that it will go back to how it
pebbles

Re: shoulder girdle neuritis>>winging

Post by pebbles »

can anyone tell me if i will ever look as well as get back to how i was before the physotherpyist hurt me as I didnt have it until she done some deep tissue massages and other things to me and this is how i ended up like it.not fair when i went there with just a sore shoulder and came out like this and can hardly do my normal day things because of it.I havea young family of 4 children to look after.I hope someone can tell me that it will go back to how it was..thanxs.
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

You shouldn't need to worry about scarring in this area...should be no need for plastic surgery...the scar on my neck is totally and I mean TOTALLY invisible. It was invisible after 2 years; no-one ever knew I had surgery. (wish I could say the same about the stretch marks that I have had for over 30 years!!)

The one under my arm is visible though, but in such a place where it doesn't show when my arm hangs normally. Even if it did it wouldn't bother me.

Lizzy B
parisi

Post by parisi »

Hi Linda, i have a visible scar on my neck, chest and arm from nerve transfer surgery. My Dr. told me to use Vitamin E and massage it into the scar, it did help lighten the scar but not make it dissapear. I know this is probably more important to the women who are having or had surgery, but the scaring is not that bad. and your shirt will cover most of the scar on your neck anyway. Good luck Ed
Susana

Post by Susana »

Pebbles, are you saying you got bpi from deep tissue massage?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Linda, My son had TBPI surgery and he has some scarring on his neck. Everyone scars differently and every surgeon uses different types of sutures to close a surgical wound. There is a new product on the market called "Scar Solution" by Neosporin. I have tried this on my son and it seems to help. It'll take about 8-12 weeks wearing this silicone type dressing 12 hours a day to work. I purchased this product at the local drug store, nonprescription. Lkyle
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just wondered why a person gets such a big scar. In this day in age most surgeries come with a little thin scar. Does anyone know why?