My doctor wants a cross neck transfer! please help!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Re: My doctor wants a cross neck transfer! please help!

Post by diargasm »

Thanks John. I've already decided to have the operation. My heart pounds a little harder whenever I think about it but I know that I have to give the best chance to have recovery. These last few days have been more difficult than before, now people are starting to refer me as the 1 arm guy. They say it as a joke, but the fact can really hurt my self-esteem.

I still would like to know if anyone here has got a cross-neck transfer for the deltoid.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I HAVE HAD ALL 5 NERVES AVULSED FROM LEFT SIDE AND ON MY RIGHT SIDE MY ARM, SHOULDER AND SHOULDER BLADE WERE TORN OFF, BUT AMAZINGLY ALL 5 NERVES IN BP WERE STILL IN TACK. THIS GAVE THE DOCTORS THE OPPORTUNITY TO WRAP THEM AROUND THE FRONT OF MY NECK AND PLUG THEM INTO LEFT SIDE. (WORLD FIRST OPERATION) THEY USED NERVES FROM LEGS FOR GRAFTING AS WELL AS THE ULNA NERVE FROM MY LEFT ARM (AS THEY WOULD NEVER GET ITS FUNCTION BACK).
18 MONTHS LATER, IT IS THAT ULNA NERVE THAT HAS GROWN 4 TIMES AS QUICKLY AND IS GIVING ME ALL MY REGAINED FUNCTION. IE BICEP, WRIST AND EVEN A TINY BIT OF FINGER BEND. IT IS BECAUSE THAT NERVE IS SO MUCH BIGGER AND STRONGER AND HAD ITS OWN BLOOD SUPPLY WHEN TRANSPLANTED (VASCULARISED).
THE OTHER 3 TRANSFERS ARN'T DOING A LOT AT THIS STAGE.
Susana

Post by Susana »

gshann, if you don't mind,where did you get your surgery?
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

I'm starting to get bicep flicker. 2-3 daily for the past 3 days I've got a weird sensation in the area. Does that mean anything good?
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

That flickering sounds like your bicep could be waking up-or at least that's what mine felt like when it started recovering. Did they clean up any scar tissue in that surgery you ecently had? That can sometimes start things up pretty quick..
Sounds like good news, anyway, keep us posted how you go :0)
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

I had the c7 transfer for deltoid recovery last april and am still waiting for results, but mind you I stand at over 6'3" and my shoulders are or used to be pretty broad, so the distance for the nerve regeneration is between 12-15 inches. Figure an inch a month, so I'm still waiting. I had the same recovery of sensation that John had, and also got the work done at the Mayo Clinic. Best of luck to you, you'll be in my thoughts.
Christopher
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

I only stand at 5'8". I was also told that it would take around 2 years to find out if it was successful. I felt a little uneasy because I thought I might be the only one that had it for the deltoid. But now I feel a little better knowing that other doctors have done this. thanks
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

I need to ask this also.

How long will it take for me to walk after surgery? And I'm really worried that something will happen to my good arm. Anyone have any bad experiences with a cross-neck surgery?
Susana

Post by Susana »

I walked the second day. My case was different I was still with broken ribs from my accident and pregnant.
diargasm

Post by diargasm »

wow that sounds good. Did you notice anything bad with your good arm?