Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

Hey there. I'm on day 7 myself and have exactly the same situation as you with increasing by 25mg each week till 100mg for migraines. The first couple of days I took it, I literally felt drunk. Thankfully that went away. But I up my dosage tonight so we'll see how I handle that. Anyway, I'm begining to notice a decrease in appitite and sweets are becoming less appealing. I sure hope it works b/c I really need to lose weight. Not to mention getting rid of the headaches would be a big plus. Let me know how it goes for you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike,

I have been on Topamax for about 9 months for migraines. I also have no desire for sex. It never crosses my mind, I'm never in the mood, just the thought of it sometimes makes my skin crawl, etc. On the rare occasions that I do say yes for my husband's sake, I do not enjoy it. It is very hard to reach orgasm and when I do it is not as strong as it used to be. Before the topamax, my husband and I had a wonderful and fulfilling sex life.

I also have problems with concentration, word finding, fluid retention, tingling in my hands and feet, constipation, moodiness, etc. The only plus is that I have lost about 15 pounds and that my migraines are somewhat better, but I am considering going off the topamax.

Loren
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have prescribed Topamax for headaches, but not migraines. I have constant low grade headaches every day. I usually take ibuprofrin, Midgrin, Imitrex, Darvicet (usually in that order througout the day) to eliminate the pain. My doctor prescribed Topamax 25 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. It didn't help so he doubled the dose and told me to quit the other meds. My headaches haven't changed at all. I still have the low grade pain and the migranes.

How are you doing? Have you started the Topamax?

I have most of the normal side effects, food & soda taste like crap, depression (but that might be because my wife walked out on me at Christmas), some weight lose (again, partly because of the wife thing), lack of concentration, I find it hard to type (and I am a professional writer). I haven't had any blurred vission or numbness. I sometimes miss my street, but because I am not paying attention while driving (not very safe, huh?), and I cannot jog anymore. I can still go for long walks, but I cannot work up the effort to jog or run.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These side effects are amazing dont know if they make me feel better or worse. Ive been on topamax for three days. i have been itching like crazy can't stand it! my face is numb my fingers and legs are numb. feel like i had a stroke. my perspective is off. driving is scary to say the least, takes a great deal of effort. so does thinking for that matter. i am an artist but i can't focus on colors. my eyes are dialated so light is light is hurting them. i am craving carbs, but they taste bad. I am taking Topamax for a mood disorder and depression.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi-I am very concerned. I was on 200mg of topamax/day due to migraines. While I was on the medication, my headaches significantly decreased, but I also had tingling in my hands (especially when I went out in cold weather). Well, the tingling didn't bother me; however, I started to notice memory loss and that I jumbled up words when I spoke (which never happened before). I have been off topamax for about 8 months now, and my memory has not returned (and I still can't speak right!). I feel very depressed because I am 23 years old, and I get in a lot of fights with friends because I make plans and forget, or I ask questions several times. Could someone please help?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I, too, was on Topamax for migraine control. I had no idea what was happening to me, but very quickly my performance on the job slipped (unable to multiplex as I had always done), my desire to eat disappeared (had to make myself eat - a totally new experience for me) and then I slipped into depression. The migraines diminished in magnitude, but did not go away. Thank goodness a counselor picked up on the fact I was taking Topamax. At my request my GP immediately started the "taper off" program (as quickly as we could) and I am back to normal. I am sure the medication is great for people with severe conditions, but for me, purely as a migraine control substance, I would far rather have migraines. It sent me to a scary place mentally.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I started Topamax 100mg for wt. loss. At first I was "foggy headed", couldn't think straight, can't multi task, can't spell, difficulty finding the right words and have the tingling in my hands and feet. I get headaches and food and soft drinks taste different. My appetite has decreased but the wt. has not signifigantly come off. I don't know if the side effects are worth it. My doctor says they should get better in 6 weeks,I don't know if I can hold off that long.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

it can shut your kidneys down
it is one of the serious side effects of the drug
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I took one pill 100 mg I felt as if the walls were melting and confused even and my heart felt quicked
and i was very eciteable.
It was for weight loss and I myself would never take another pill in my life for me the side effects could of been deadly.I think what happened with one pill is not common for very few people thank god.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Im on 125 mg of topamax for severe migraines. It works, I suppose, but the side effects are terrible. I cant think clearly, Im in a fog all the time, I feel anxious. Ive been on it for a while, so some of the other side effects like constant aura and eye pressure seem to be going away, but Im also on a hell of a lot of steroids too.

what bothers me when I look through these posts is that one of the big side effects when you look at the real side effects listed by topomax is anorexia. Compared to the placebo, it had a really high rate of occurance. Everyone on the drug seems is telling of horrible things happening to them and their lives...of their jobs, their loved ones, their sanity all going to shit. Not even mentioning if the medicine is even really working all that well or not. But what do they care about? "When will the weight come off?" Watch requiem for a dream. I myself am starting to get scared about being on this drug because im noticing it a litting in myself after reading all these posts too.