Topomax

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

My Dr. just put me on Topomax. I have to take 25mg for one week and increase by 25mg every week till i'm up to 200mg. I'm on it for migraines and I need to lose weight. I'm on day 4 and so far I don't like it. About an hour after I take it I literally feel drunk and then I have to go to sleep a couple of hours after that. And I'm only at 25mg!! I'm afraid of upping the dosage. I'm gonna start taking like a half hour before I go to bed and see if that helps. I really want to give this drug a chance as I really need to lose weight and I really really want the migraines to stop. Can someone tell me if the "drunkiness" goes away after awhile and how exactly does the weight loss occur? Is it just appitite suppresant or what? Any response to these specific questions would be greatly appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was just put on Topomax. I have to take 25mg for a week and icrease by 25mg per week till I'm up to 200mg. I'm on it for migraines and I need to lose weight. I'm on day 4 and so far I don't like it. About an hour after I take it I literally feel drunk. So I'll start taking it right before I go to bed and see if that helps. I really want to give this drug a chance as I really need to lose weight and I really really want the migraines to stop. Can anyone tell me if the "drunkiness" goes away after awhile and also how exactly does the weight loss occur? Is it an appitite suppresant or what? Any response to these specific questions would be greatly appreciated.
jennfaery

Post by jennfaery »

Update:
I have now been on Topomax for almost 2 months and the side effects have decresed. I told my doctor about everything that was going on so he did not up my dosage and put me on Pamelor for the depression and it is also suposed to help with the headaches. So far I am feeling much beter mentally then I did a few weeks ago. I think I just had to get used to the medicine. The headaches have not stoped though and I have not lost any wieght but I'm hoping for the best. I will update again in a couple of weeks. Good luck to all of you!:)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax - anyone benefiting?

Post by admin »

I have been on Topomax for about 6 months now i am up to 125 mgs a night. i have had severe migranes since my whole life!! Taken everything!! It took awhile to get used to at first but my doctor kept insisting that I keep with it. Now I get severe ones maybe once or twice a month compared to everyday!!!! If I get a severe one I take relpax.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax - anyone benefiting?

Post by admin »

I have been on Topomax for about 6 months now i am up to 125 mgs a night. i have had severe migranes since my whole life!! Taken everything!! It took awhile to get used to at first but my doctor kept insisting that I keep with it. Now I get severe ones maybe once or twice a month compared to everyday!!!! If I get a severe one I take relpax.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been on Topomax for 2 months for seizures. I was on Depakote for 12 years before that with no side effects. My doctor took me off the Depakote because he said it could be harmful to my kidneys. He also said it causes weight gain. I had no idea! The Topomax has been horrible. I had tingling in my toes. I have terrible joint pain and body aches. my knees, fingers, elbow and even my jaw have swelled and feel like the flu. I finally am weaning off of it this week with my doctor's orders, subtracting 25 mg every three days and going to Neurontin. I dont know about side effects of that but anything is worth trying to get off the Topomax. I did not see much of a weight loss but I definitely lost my appetite. I barely ate at all and barely drank. I experienced what others did and that was carbonated drinks had no flavor.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THE ACHES WILL GO AWAY?
Andrea
admin
Site Admin

Re: TOPOMAX and Muscle Jerking Anyone?

Post by admin »

Hi,
I have been on Topomax for almost a year now for weight loss and lost about 20 pounds in a year..My eating has come under control except for certain splurges but the side effects are measurable.. I have body jerking like i'm falling off the bed. It scares me and people around me, especially when i'm only nodding off. I have tremors inside and out, my concentration level sucks and being in school it gets pretty bad sometimes. If I get to stressed out I black out. I take 100mg a day now I used to take 200mg a day. email me please if there are any questions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi i've just been given topomax and i'm curious to see if you stil find it helpful?

any advice would be greatly appreciated
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi i've recently been given topomax and would appreciate any information and personal experience you've had. are they still helping, how are the side effects. how much do you take and how fast did you increase your dosage. please some of the stuff i've read on this site is scary but if my dr is right and i am bipolar i'd certainly welcome a prescription that helps and makes me lose weight.

thank

y
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax - additional side effects

Post by admin »

hi, please be careful. my doctor has informed me that if i have any eye pain or back pain to let him know immediately. I am 33 years old and am taking it for weight loss along with my anti depressant drugs. You should discuss this with your doctor regarding the eye pain. Good Luck!