Oxycontin and drinking?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Andrew

Oxycontin and drinking?

Post by Andrew »

was just wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to drink alcohol when taking Oxycontin?. The reason i ask is because i am turning 18 in a few weeks and am finally legal to drink (not that i want to go wild or anything). I am only taking 20 mg twice a day and am pretty tolerant to the drug because i have been on it for over 2 years now. Anyone had any experience with this?

thanks again
lizzyb

Re: Oxycontin and drinking?

Post by lizzyb »

Andrew...ask your prescribing Doctor about this...in my experience, alcohol increases the sedative effect of any narcotic...can make you drowsy. If you are not used to this, make sure you have someone with you who you can trust to look out for you. It could also affect respiration, depress breathing, so pleeeeeze be careful!! :0)

Liz B
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

NO ALCOHOL! I did have a few drinks one night while I was taking this and it made me sick! I was hugging the toliet for a few hours! Just keep that in mind!

COurt xo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My experiece is that you can happily enjoy drinks on Oxycontin, just in moderation. I am on 3200mg per day, and approx 8 mths after the accident (and of course not having any drinks for so long makes it worse)I made myself violently ill!! (in front of the inlaws too) Moderation is the key and you'll be OK.
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

I wouldn't recommend drinking while taking any kind of medications. It truly isn't worth it. I would definately ask your physician on it. I'm sure he would say the same thing. Please, make wise choices and be careful. We luv you man!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BAD IDEA. I went to prison for two years.
I think that answers your question.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I've been taking Oxycontin {2 x 20mg) daily now for 6 months and have found only a few drinks soon has you wishing you hadn't bothered, what i mean is that they don't mix very well and leave you feeling a little lousy.
Pauljt
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Oxycontin is an opiate, alcoohol plus opiates equals depressed breathing, this puts you in all kinds of danger. There are very few pain meds that mix with alcohol, mainly because alcohol is such a powerful drug itself.
Happy birthday anyway......:0)
Richard P

Post by Richard P »

Hi Andrew:

The combination of oxycontin & drinking can be very dangerous. Please concentrate on getting better, maybe go to a concert or ballgame to celebrate. You'll probably have alot more fun and I'm sure you'll feel better the morning after! Happy Birthday!