Topomax

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

But what did you replace the topomax with? I feel the same way. Lack of concentration, no mind control. I have been on it for 2 years. 200mg and my work is suffering and my boss is complaining and now my migranes are actually getting worse. I am afraid of going higher?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> hi, my psychiatrist just prescriped topomax for me
> for an eating disorder. about three years ago, i was
> a restrictive eater (maybe slightly anorexic, not
> sure) and weighed about 95 lbs. then i developed a
> binge eating disorder, but never picked up purging.
> my doctor prescriped topomax to try to help stop the
> binging, and i'm really hoping to loss weight on it.
> i now weigh about 125 (i'm 5'4"). i'm just a
> a little scared about the other side effects,
> specifically, the depression part because i have been
> diagnosed with depression.

You sound like me. 5'4" 125. I was on Depakote. Used to weigh about 110. Solid muscle, and they put me on that crap. Gained 20 pounds! 20 pounds! People don't understand that that is still 3 pant sizes--even though they think "you're soo tiny!" it's so annoying! I'm hoping to lose the weight too if only not to waste the whoooole closet full of work clothes I have. I will not spend more money on more clothes.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I am on Topomax and lost 15 pounds in 2 months. That was nice, but the depression has hit hard. Be careful about that. I was never depressed before the Topomax. I hope it does well for you. I'm taking it because of headaches. I'm on 200mg per day. It hasnt helped me at all. I go see the Dr. next month. He'll probably put me on something else.
You dont crave the sweet things anymore with topomax. That's what I liked. Anyway good luck!
Melissa
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> I have ocular migraines which means I go blind
> instead of getting pain like a normal migraine
> sufferer. I have been on Verapamil but my doctor
> wants to switch me to Topamax because of the side
> effects I am having from Verapamil. I am worried
> about the side effects of Topamax. He wants me to
> take 1 25 mg tab at bedtime. Do you think i will
> have a problem with that dosage? I am not worried
> about the weight loss since I am 60 lbs overweight,
> but I don't want the depression, aggravation, etc.

Kathy- when I read your message I almost cried - I've never read anyone else that had blindness kind of like me - I had an accident in Dec 06 02 - I Had boxes filled with copy paper fall on me and I sustained a spinal cord injury (c-4 c-5) I WAS paralyzed for 3 days but all my sensation and mobility has returned what hasn't returned completely has been my vision. I have what they have termed as "transient blindness". I lose my vision several times a day - completely. I am also taking topomax for the headaches and have found only a few problems with it. If you could e-mail me back I would truly appreciate it....thank you...:)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Way to go angel. Paul sounded way out of line. I enjoyed your post by the way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul-does tpbi or whatever the injury is cause one to be extremely angry. I see much anger in all of your posts, which for the life of me I cannot see the reasoning.

Maybe being irrational is a side effect of some of the medications you are on, if any.

I wish you much luck in conquering this self destructive behaviour.

Sincerely, CRISTI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My dauther takes Depakote for her migraine prevention (also a siezure med like topomax), and she gained about 20 lbs. but works very well in preventing her migraines. You might ask to try that if you haven't already.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Health plan does not cover brand name medications. Unfortunately, there is no generic for Topiramate. Does anyone know where to get Topomax for pennies on the dollar?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I started taking Topomax two weeks ago as of today 02/26/04 for bi polar /and also a mood stabalizer , also my doctor weined me off of paxil which i didnt need because i was not depressed but that actually made me loose weight go figure!!! lol I take two Topomax at bedtime. I have lost one pound. I did change my eating habits and starting working out at the gym 3 times a week. So im hoping also that will help me loose the weight. But as far as loosing it with this medicine i havent seen any drastic results this soon. I would assume it would take just a bit longer. If anyone has any helpful information as to the weightloss of this drug please let me know.
Thanks.
jennfaery

Post by jennfaery »

Hello, I don't have a TBI but I do have migraines. I have since I was 12 and I am 21 now. I am on 25 mg of topomax and have been taking it for a little under a month. Like most of the other people who have responded the side effects are horrendous. I have been having terrible mood swings, blurred vision, feeling fuzzy, pain and coldness in my extremities, loss of concentration, even suicidal thoughts. I have been debating on if I should just stop taking it or wait to see if the side effects wear off but I don't think I can take much more. It hasn't even help with my headaches and so far no weight loss that I can see. I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see if the side effects go away. I really want topomax to work but I am so tired of being in pain all the time. Does anyone know of any medicine that will make my moods stabilize and still be able to take topomax? Thanks.:)