Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

Shelly , I noticed you wrote this back in September- If you are on Topomax you may have forgotten to check back! I also take it for seizures and having switched from Lamictal, because it made me gain so much weight. Big mistake.It's not that this stuff makes you lose weight , it's that you can't remember to eat or where it is!!I'm terrified that i have lost my mind literally and won't be able to recoup. I have forgotten my daughter at work, forgotten a dinner party I was throwing(you can imagine my suprise)and it is getting worse.I can't remember what door I came out of 2 seconds ago or my own address or phone number.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I too have been on Topomax for severe migraines. I used to get them 2-3 times a week! I've been on Topomax for about 4 months now, and since that time, I've probably had ONE migraine! Just one! Can you believe it?? And the weight loss? Yep. It happened. I've lost about 40 pounds. I do have the tingling in my feet and hands on occasion, although it was a constant in the beginning, so this is much improved! The short term memory loss is still with me though...I find myself searching for words at times...simple words that I know I should know. And yes, there are foods that I used to love that no longer taste good to me. The weight loss was an added bonus for me. It was just about the exact amount of weight that I needed to lose. My oldest daughter is also on Topomax for migraines as well...and she has also dropped about the same amount of weight (she is 17). We each take 100mg currently. Hope this answers some questions.

Laura in Kansas
Aerostar2

Post by Aerostar2 »

Hi, My name is Jackie and I had a seziure in july of 2003. Ive been on several medications since then but now I've been placed on topamax for over 4 months.Like many of the notes I have read I also have the tingles in the hands and feets as most of you have mentioned. The doctor said that is a normal side effect I dont believe any side effect is normal. i also get some what of a vertago(dizziness like im moving and the room is still).....my question to you all is topamax is also a drog to curr headaches....has anyone had or is having migranes or headaches while taking topamax?? because i am...ive been to the doctor and the M.R.I and teh catscan is normal??any advice??? Thank you
Aerostar2

Post by Aerostar2 »

Hi, My name is Jackie and I had a seziure in July of 2003. Ive been on several medications since then but now I've been placed on topamax for over 4 months.Like many of the notes I have read I also have the tingles in the hands and feets as most of you have mentioned. The doctor said that is a normal side effect I dont believe any side effect is normal. i also get some what of a vertago(dizziness like im moving and the room is still).....my question to you all is topamax is also a drug to cure headaches....has anyone had or is having migranes or headaches while taking topamax?? because i am...ive been to the doctor and the M.R.I and the catscan is normal??any advice??? Thank you You may email me as well.....
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brenda, I took Topamax for awhile and had the same sexual side-effects, my hair fell out and I was only on 50 mg at night, also confusion, tingling and kidney problems and eye problems. This does go away after you stop taking it. I didn't think the side-effects were worth it. Gina
keasterp

Post by keasterp »

I just started this drug a monthago and I am exaxtly the dsame way...did it get any better?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does anyone have any jittery feelings? I've been on Topamax for 6 weeks and am up to 100mg/day at bedtime, which is the highest dose my doctor wants me on for migraines. I've had daily headaches since age 9. I've tried numerous medications and like the weight loss side effect but don't care for the jittery feeling, numbness in my hips when I'm in bed at night, gastric upset, and blurred vision. Just curious if this bothers anyone else.

Amy in Kansas
admin
Site Admin

Re: Horrid Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

My doc gave me Topamax for Bipolar disorder to help me "level" out which the other meds werent doing very well.

I did a Week trial run of it, quit 2 days ago.. I now have horrible back spasms, and have lost my sense of taste and smell.. Tell me, have any of you all heard of this? It better come back ASAP or I'm gonna be pretty p'd.

~Bryan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see your entry was back in October. I just started on Topomax in January of this year and I am having similar symptoms. I am at 75 mg a day, and by week after next I will be at 100mg a day. I am now having the tingling in my right arm, which also happens to be cold at times. Loss of 30 pounds almost to the pound. No complaints here either. Has it gotten better for you? have you experiened less headaches? Have your side effects been lessened? You mentioned your bones hurt? which bones? the bottom of my spine, near my tailbone hurts..if that makes sense, and as you, hearing has been effected, mainly in my left ear... strange, I thought I was unique in these symptoms. Sorry to hear you have similiar symptoms, and I hope they have gotten better.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am taking 200 mg of Topamax daily for migraines and I also get that pins and needles feeling in my feet that you described. I really don't like it, but I put up with it because this medicine has really reduced the number of migraines I suffer per month.