Topamax Side effects!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topamax Side effects!!!

Post by admin »

I am on topamax and my doctor told me that it is not a good idea to be on more than 200 mg tops of topamax at a time. Something to do with it becoming toxic in the system. I would look it up in a med book and find another doctor for your daughter if I were you. It sounds like she is already on too much medication.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I know you wrote this last year, but I just started Topamax last week, and I get dizziness and light sensitivity all day....i'm on 50 mg per day...that is it and I hate this side effect. I'm on it for never pain. Let me know how you are doing now....this is a great forum. I hope you are doing better.
Laura
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

GET HER OFF OF THAT MEDICATION AND FAST!!!! I just got off of it yesterday and am already seeing improvement. I have almost lost my job because of the confusion and memory loss and inability to perform normal daily tasks. I was on it for pain and was prescribed it by my neurologist and a second neurologist followed up but it wasn't until I pushed to speak to my PCP regarding my health that I found out the truth. It wasn't me! My PCP told me of the side effects of this medication and they are horrible and to answer your question, NO they won't go away. Putting her on MORE medication is not the answer either. A different medication would be better. Hope this helps... it is frustrating having such horrible side effects but for her sake, and for yours- fight to get off of it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Trust me when I tell you that it is the medication. I am letting you know this because my doctors did not tell me until it was close to too late. I just received a performance improvement plan which I could barely understand and have 30 days to complete or pack up- all due to health issues. I was at the end of my rope and saw my PCP yesterday who told me that the Topamax my neurologist had put me on for pain was most likely the root of most of these issues. I am scheduled for another MRI today to see if there are any signs of a stroke since the side effects of the Topamax were so bad however, as day one of being without it, I tell you it is freedom already. Get off of the medication and see what a few days does. Sometimes the pain is more tolerable than the side effects. I had depression, tingling in my hands, feet and lips, loss of sexual appitite as well as the one for food (already at a low weight I could not afford to loose the 15 lbs I did which brings me at 5'7" to 99lbs), confusion, lack of concentration, memory loss, acid reflux, burning sensation when drinking carbonated beverages... the list goes on.

This medication has put me even further in the hole from health when I did not need to go there... I just wish my doctors were more up front with me about side effects. They love this drug and though it works wonders for a lot of people it was killing me.

The side effects will NOT go away until you get off of the medication. Talk to your doctor and choose another medication that will not emotionally and socially harm you when it is supposed to help you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just wanted to weigh in with my Topamax experience. I've been on it since 12/29; prescribed it by a neurologist for migraines after a headache episode sent me to the emergency room for the first time in my 26 years as a migraine sufferer. The dr. said Topamax was being used as a prophylactic drug, and that he liked it because it had "no side effects other than weight loss." About 30 pounds overweight most of my life,I was thrilled to hear of a weight loss pill now that Redux is gone. I was on 25mg. per day, twice a day for 10 days, then doubled the dosage. In a nutshell: the first 10 days were hellacious: I was confused, numb-faced, zombie-fied;my skin felt like paper, my hair felt like straw, my eyes felt buggy. Just as I felt more in control, I had to double up. Funny thing, though: three days into my double-up,I suddenly felt like the clouds had cleared. I felt more normal. I am aggressively hydrating, moisturizing, and have lost 7 pounds. I'm not losing track of my thoughts or my speech. Libido has never been an issue for me, luckily. HOWEVER, I have continued to have migraines on Topamax,but their frequency is somewhat lessened, and I am sure at my appointment in two weeks, the dr. will up my dosage again. Just another look at Topamax for some of you.
Oh, and yeah, soda tastes horrid. But I can live without it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I HAVE HAD SEIZURES FOR 5 YEARS NOW. I TAKE LAMICTAL AND I HAVENT HAD ANY SEIZURES SINCE I STARTED TAKING IT. I HAVE HAD NO SIDE EFFECTS WHAT-SO-EVER. MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THAT IT COULD CAUSE A RASH WHEN I FIRST STARTED TAKING IT, BUT I HAVENT SEEN THE FIRST SIGN OF ONE. I'VE BEEN ON 2 OTHER MEDICATIONS.. TEGRETOL AND DIALATIN (I GUESS THAT'S HOW YOU SPELL IT) AND I STILL HAD SEIZURES ON THOSE. SO YOU DONT NECESSARILY HAVE TO TAKE TOPAMAX.. THERE ARE OTHER MEDICINES THAT WORK JUST AS WELL, IF NOT BETTER, WITHOUT AS MANY SIDE EFFECTS.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wellbutrin has a lot of sexual side effects. You may want to look into that too. I am experiencing a loss of interest in life, sex, love, emotion. I haven't tried to reach orgasm because I haven't been interested in sex. I've been taking topamax a little over a month.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am experencing some serious numbness also... but I am also diabetic.. so I cant figure it out. But I did notice the numbness start as soon as I started taking the med.. I also am I little confused becuase I went to my docter with a tiny weight problem, nothing too serious, I am about 60lbs over weight, and he put me on this... After reading some of these post I feel like its a bit insane.... any ideas?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been on Topamax for about a month now and have been gradually increasing dose. I've had a little bit of tingling in hands and feet and a little decrease in appetite. I've noticed no muffled noises or voices but I'm very tired in the afternoon. My migranes are much better. I can feel them wanting to come but they never get here it's terrific. So far the side effects are not enough to make me stop taking this med. I hope that when I'm on the full dose this is still the case.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My name is Mary i have a 17 month old son who is on topamax he has been on it sence he was 4 months he takes 60mg a day he is also on zoneagran and klonopin.
He is very developmintaly delayed he can only roll over.If anybody has had anything of the same nature happen please let me know because he still continues to have several seizures a day. I'm at the end of my road i don't know what eals to do. thanks