suggestions to help son dress himself

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
sonw/bp

suggestions to help son dress himself

Post by sonw/bp »

My 3 year old, Evan, was ran over by a riding lawnmower in August. His right arm was severly damaged. He has a little movement at the elbow, but that is about it. Does anyone have any suggestions to help dress himself with one arm?
He wants to do it by himself so badly, but he has gotton so frustrated he does not even want to wear clothes!!
Other than letting him run around in the nude:) how can I help him do it on his own?
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Re: suggestions to help son dress himself

Post by cbe411 »

I would suggest to post this on the General Boards. You will probably get more answers there! I will start it fo you there with a title of the same as this one. Check the general boarsd then! Best of luck!
Court
south GA

Post by south GA »

The best advice I can give you is to let him do it himself and to encourage him to do it himself, if he has a permanent injury he's going to have to learn. you will be surprised what techniques he'll come up with.
good luck
jacko

Post by jacko »

Its easier to sort out the injured arm first. Slide that one into the sleeve, and then struggle the good arm into the other sleeve. Teeth are always useful, but be careful, as its expensive to have dental work done if you overdo it!

Your son will find ways to do things for himself, but it will take time. Allow him to struggle with the problem for a while without help. You have to over-ride your natural motherly instincts, and allow him to struggle. It won't be easy, but believe me, boys and men do not want want to have it done for them unless there is no other way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi maybe I can help I was born with Erbs I am 50.I only have simple grasp in my left arm.Tell me does he have any grasp? Can he pinch with two fingers? tell me what movement he does have? I am a semi driver and I am a master diver with simple grasp so I know about challenges. I think I can help, Tom.
charlottejenkins

Post by charlottejenkins »

hi hun:
bye close that are slip on.
no buttons no zippers no snaps.
large shirts with v necks.
slip on shoes
if he needs to dress up,then you assist him.
buddyfan

Post by buddyfan »

Lucky he won't need a bra!
And try getting into and out of a full wetsuit! I look like a beached whale.
My husband made me do everything myself, cruel to be kind and it worked. Definately bad arm first though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What he let you do it yourself,Let him know from master diver tom with over 300 dives!!! Are you a dive buddy or What!!! You help your dive partner what ever they need!! Iam not kiding here you put each others life in each other hands!! Dive safe be safe and help your partner....There is no maybe about it!!!TOM!!!
buddyfan

Post by buddyfan »

Tom,
Wrong end of the stick!
He made me do everything, like dress myself etc, when I first had the accident.
We are just starting a scuba course and off course he would help me in the water! But for my body surfing I always struggle into my wet suit on my own. Hence the beached whale effect. I just bought the dive book today so we haven't even been in the pool yet. Do you anticipate any problems for me? I'm left BPI, C5,6 avulsed, no shoulder to wrist movement or control but good grip in left hand.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You will love diving the truth is you have to depend on your dive buddy.thats a fact I have the sane nev damage and a fracture elbow from birth. it works because you are not swiming under water you just use your legs, using yor arm just shortens your dive,in a few dives you, will see what I mean have fun be safe Tom.