Expert Witnesses

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Nicole M

Expert Witnesses

Post by Nicole M »

Hi, I was wondering how do I go about asking Dr. Nath or Dr. Shenaq to be an expert witness? What do they charge? Do they even do it? Are there any other good Docs that can testify in the midwest? I really need help with this. Thanks!
Nicole
Joe1968

Re: Expert Witnesses

Post by Joe1968 »

hi nicole, i'm not sure what you mean by expert witness, but i'm sure dr. nath(if you're speaking of the one in houston) or his secretary brenda, would be very pleased to help in any way they can. i went to dr, nath back in sept. 2001, after suffering my bpi due to misfortunate luck during another surgery i was undergoing, but after seeing the results i've had from dr. nath and all the wonderful help he and his secretary have given me, i don't see how they would not be able to do somthing for you. let me know if you need his number. best of luck! joe
Nicole M

Post by Nicole M »

Also, do they do any teleconferencing? So much cheaper I would assume.
francine

Post by francine »

Nicole - this kind of thing is what your attorney should be researching and setting up.
good luck with your case,
francine
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dr. Shenaq was an expert witness in our case. Our lawyer set up to have a videographer there to tape it so we didnt have to pay to have Dr. Shenaq in person. I vaguely remember hearing that they would come in person but that gets very very very expensive!
Nicole M

Post by Nicole M »

Well, i have to pay for my expert witness, so i kind of need to know how much money is involved.
browning93

Post by browning93 »

Your expert witness has to be someone who has not treated your child and someone who is out of your state. Your attorney will use teleconferencing i'm sure, but the cost comes in paying for their flight, hotel and their fee per hour when it comes time for their deposition. they have to be physically present. Our attorney and the physicians attorney split the bill in half since they wanted to do most of the questioning in our case. The reason it has to be someone out of state is that instate doctors usually will NOT testify against each other. It's kind of like a private pact they have but will deny. Also, it shouldn't come out of your pocket. Our attorney took our case knowing we couldn't pay him and if he lost we would have to file bankruptcy so he'd never get paid. He paid for everything himself. I know that makes him sound great but he got it all back in the end after the settlement. When you get a settlement or judgement any third party payers have to be reimbursed out of that money first, the attorney gets his share for costs, expenses and of course his time and you get whatever is left. Our expert was out of Seattle Washington and we live in florida. You really shouldn't have to worry about this expert thing anyway. That's what the attorney is getting paid for! Need anymore info i'll help if I can. LeeAnne Browning
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello,
We used Dr. Shenaq as our expert witness. We called Lisa T and she referred us to a contact # TCH or Baylor not sure which one. We gave our lawyer that number and he set up everything. Our lawyer took his depo in person (He flew to Houston) and had the defense attorneys on a conference call. I think this was about $3000 (doctor expert fee) plus attorney costs and fees. Dr. Shenaq does treat our child so it does not matter if the expert witness treats your child, actually it is better if they do. I say this because I read his testimony and the defense lawyers made lenthy questions concerning how often he did see my child. Lisa T was very good with this. We felt very awkward about asking the docs and she said that they do it quite frequently. Also, Dr. Grossman in Florida does expert witness. The defense tried to get him to testify on their behalf, but never happened. Best of luck.