wine corks

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

wine corks

Post by admin »

Has anyone figured out a good way/ or gizmo for getting the cork out of a wine bottle? I'm not too big on this boxed stuff.
onepaw
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: wine corks

Post by jennyb »

I put the bottle between my thighs, use one of those corkscrews that has the 2 arms that come up as you screw the ....screwy bit in. When the arms have risen up, I hold real tight with the thighs, pull the arms on the corkscrew down (can be tricky one handed but extremely possible) and pull the cork out. This was one thing I worked out within 3 months of my bpi, NO WAY was a paralysed right arm stopping me having a healthy glass of wine....
....once I did it by holding bottle in thighs as above and ramming the cork down inside the bottle with the handle of a knife, I was camping and had no corkscrew. Maybe not recommended by top wine waiters but perfectly acceptable in the bush :0)
david wilson

Post by david wilson »

hey onepaw
I use about the same method as Jenny only I use a SCREWPULL brand opener. It is plastic framed with a metal corkscrew that keeps on threding into the cork to pull it out. very easy once you get it started holding it between your thighs.
Red
jacko

Post by jacko »

Us tough guys just smash the neck of the bottle against a table top, then glug the contents straight down, broken glass and all. Redneck? Yeah, my neck's very red.... on the inside !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well that is pretty much the same method we use around here jacko except you put the bottle on the counter and blaze away with your favorite sidearm, if you miss with a clip full you don't get anymore wine, I mean it's just our little way of doing things but it has gotten a little hard on the wall board,- so to the opener
Onepaw
Mac's Matthew

Post by Mac's Matthew »

LOL! JennyB, you must be in some good shape to hold a bottle between your thighs and get it open! I'm cracking up at the thought of what it looks like.