question

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

question

Post by cbe411 »

I have a supination strap/ brace that I have been wearing and I LOVE this thing! It is very confortable and having my arm at neutral is extremly comfortable for me and especially with not wearing a lsing anymore ....YEAH!!! I am just wondering about this little thing that I Am getting in the area between my thumb and first finger. Its not broken the skin yet but it ,looks like it might. I think being htat the muscles are weird in their the brace has been rubbing on the skin and bone, if this makes sence. Any one had this or any suggestions as to what to do? I have tried putting gauze in there and today and I have second skin on in and am going to put a cotton ball there too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
COurt xo
Francine_Litz

Re: question

Post by Francine_Litz »

BandAid makes a blister bandaid - this is what we've used for Maia. She gets raw in the same spot. You have to be really careful and take breaks because when she was wearing her post surgical splint - this little soreness turned into a huge ulcerated wound that needed antibiotic treatment etc.

Susie

Post by Susie »

What if you were to put a bandaid on the splint for extra padding where it is rubbing? My sister and I use to do that with new shoes if they were causing a blister. I have no experience with splints though.

We are suppose to be getting a supination splint for our 20 month old son with ROBPI. Does it help you supinate when you need to or just holding you in neutral? Are you able to supinate at all without it?
Hope you don't mind me asking you these questions.

Susie
KGGUNNS

Post by KGGUNNS »

Hi Courtney,

What is a supination strap/brace? My arm still just hangs from my elbow down. I cannot flex my elbow. I have control over my shoulder area though. Is this strap used for non functional hands and arms? Just wondering cause I wear a sling when I go out and it is so uncomfortable. My arm and elbow gets really sore when I wear it. Are there any pictures on the net that I can see different braces or slings that you or anyonewould know of? Thanks. Karen
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

The brace that I wear is to keep my arm in a neutral position and lessen the stress on my shoulder. I am extremly pronated, no sxupination, and with the brace on I am at neutral. Long term it should help me to supinate on my own. It has helped a bit in the past month or so that I have been wearing it. Some people are not fond of it and others have no opinion. Me I lOVE THIS THING! Check this site for them in 6 colors! http://www.mckiesplints.com/instructions.htm

Best of luck, email with any other questions! courtney@ubpn.org

COurt xo