Fun Activities

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Nancy (Eric's Mom)

Fun Activities

Post by Nancy (Eric's Mom) »

Hi everyone,

I need to update everyone on Eric's follow-up (1 year post surgery) visit in New Orleans but for the present moment Eric & I would really like to hear about fun, physical activities that can be accomplished with use of only 1 arm/hand. It would be great if anyone/everyone could share with us fun things to do (your specific experiences would be helpful). We need help with this because it's so easy to focus on all the things that can't be done. I promise I'll update as soon as I have the time. Thanks!
jenlovesjay

Re: Fun Activities

Post by jenlovesjay »

My husband and I love to go fishing together. Even though he is the one with one arm, I find that he is baiting the hook more often. The theater is great also, relax and find something to keep your mind off of everything.

We have three children and spending time with them is really enjoyable. The youngest is 5 and even though dad can not play catch with him, we enroll the kids in programs with the city and go to every game.

GOOD LUCK
Nancy (Eric's Mom)

Post by Nancy (Eric's Mom) »

Hello,

Thanks for the response. We were trying to think more of physical type activities. I think we're going to try bowling but still looking for ideas. Eric used to play ice hockey, liked riding his motorcycle off-road, loves music (has a huge collection of records) which brings up another question, has anyone figured out how to get records back into their sleeves one-handed? He has also tossed around a frisbee and shot some basketball one-handed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Nancy

I'm 28, 4 years on from the BPI. I used to enjoy rugby, using the gym, riding my motorbike and generally most sports. Easy for me to say now, but I found that trying to get things back to normal helped immensely. Sure, I can't play rugby or ride the bike, but I go to the gym again now. It took a little while to get the courage up to go, but now it doesn't bother me. In most cases people will show you respect for getting out there and getting on with it. It's a good time to allocate to make sure you give your arm and shoulder a good workout. It also helps your posture and builds up that side of your body again. As you may have guessed I'm a big fan of weight-training and excercise! Be glad to help out with any excercises if I can..

That aside, I toss a frisby, play racquet sports, go running (occasionally as I hate it). He could also trade his interest in bikes for cars..?

Hmmm.. the records back in sleeves is quite a tricky one. You need to kind of perch the sleeve between both knees so that it opens slightly (this takes precision and some patience at first). You can pick the record up (hand underneath) with your thumb on the outer edge and middle finger resting in the centre spindle hole. After a few times it becomes fairly easy and much quicker. As I'm sure you both already know, this injury requires patience and planning for difficult tasks.

Something else I really enjoy is music and clubbing. It was something I loved pre-accident and didn't see why I should give it up. It's the only time I ever wear a sling - purely because I don't like dancing with my hand in my pocket - looks weird!

I'm totally convinced that once you find things that Eric can do that he used to enjoy it'll be a really positive thing. Good luck. Let me know if I can help. Have you asked Dave?

All the best

Dan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, and although I'm not really into games I do happen to know that you can set up a Playstation 2 paddle for one handed players - at least you can for the GT racing game!

Dan
George

Post by George »

Hi Nancy,

Guess the batting cage is out of the question huh? That used to be my stress reliever, and how I do miss it, but...gotta move on.

O.K.......I don't know how much of a action seeker Eric is, but there is an activity I still love to do that totally empties my mind...........I go flying......in a paraplane. It is a powered parachute, and it's a blast !! The good thing is you only need one hand for the throttle, and two legs to steer it. The wing is a high performance skydiving chute, so there is plenty of lift. Another good thing about it is that they have two seaters now, and I go up sometimes with a friend and let him worry about the piloting while I sit back and look at the tree tops (no hands needed). It is an excellent way to clear the mind. It's relatively inexpensive to go up for a couple of hours, and well worth the thrill. If you are interested, I will snap a few pics next time I'm at the field, and send them to you. Just let me know.

George
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hi George

Your 'mind-emptying' activity sounds very interesting ..!!

Sounds like the kinda thing I'd be up for....I would love to see any pics of you doing this...have you thought about putting them (pix) somewhere on the web so's we can all see 'em??? sounds like a positive and and fun thing to do and we all need stuff like that...can never be too much in fact..! ;0)

love from liz xx

PS; and some peeps think motorbikes are scary????
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

http://www.adventuresportsdirectory.com/disability.htm

Hi, i don't know if you've seen that site but it's inspirational.. personally i was a bit of an adrenalin fiend and the life of inactivity after BPI (except physio) i found very boring and frustrating. I had always wanted to ski but never got round to it before BPI so had a blast last january and, when i struggled with the right ski pole the instructor said throw down the poles you will ski better balanced without them anyway, so i did, and LOVED it! And i tried windsurfing this summer but struggled with my right hand letting go the mast, but some instructor guy at flying fish
http://www.flyingfishonline.com/index.asp

reckons he can show me how to get around that, sorted!
AS for George's microlight therapy, sounds GREAT send pics mate! :O)
Dianna williams

Post by Dianna williams »

try fishing,you can get one of those light weight fishing reals that can be turn to use with the hand that works,
thay used that as part of Errett rehab,
he even went snow skiing , he was to stay on the bunny slops, but he was used to the black slops before so he went to the blue and took it slow as not to fall
they worked on a golf swing, and putting, they took him to play mim golf in rehab
and fishing, the even played homerun durby, took a babys baseball set (rubber type) and played baseball
made him use his arm that was hurt,
that was 9mos in to rehab, that they started making it fun for him, even thou he was 18 years old.played basket ball with the nurf stuff,
they did all this so he would use his bad arm
thya asked him what he would do to pass his time before he got hurt and he told them so they came up with some fun stuff to get his mind off the work and just had fun
they even used the baby bowling sets
and Errett played a lot of playstation, he was unbeatable, and still is
hope any of this helps.
George

will do

Post by George »

Liz and Dave,

I'll go soon to the paraport and take pics to send. I don't have any still shots right now....just a bunch of video. Honestly, if you ever go up in this thing, you will be hooked for life (just a warning :o) And it is a great release, cause there's nothing like being in control of your own flying machine. Liz.....I have no idea how to post pics on the web, but I am more than willing to send them to someone who can. It's really lots of fun.

Nancy.....I know this idea may seem a little rad, but Eric could just hitch a ride if he wanted to. That is just as enjoyable. Well...just an idea. Please let us know how Eric is doing. Wish your family the best.

George