need advice for my son

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
sheri.roesler

need advice for my son

Post by sheri.roesler »

Hi, I have a question for those of you who live with this injury. My son, Joshua, is 4 and the last couple of days has been complaining that his palm "itches"... he has had limited feeling in his hand, although it has improved. He is really bothered by this "itch" and can't seem to get any relief from it. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with some new nerve growth or something "waking up" inside. Any suggestions on how to help ease the itch? Is this anything you have experienced? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheri
Kathleen M

Re: need advice for my son

Post by Kathleen M »

Sheri

I can only assume that it is the nerves in his hand. My hand function developed late. I only had PT no surgery.

I don't remember why or who taught me to tap but that is just what I do when I am uncomfortable. I use to tap my arm up and down when I was young it is a distraction from the annoyance of itching or pain. I tap my arm when it hurts and I guess this was a tool given to me when I was a child because I would bite my arm and fingers and that must have stopped it...

Not long ago I had a major problem with the nerve's in my arm and back Francine taught me a tapping process and once again the tapping distracted me from the irritation of the buzzing in my back... It really works as a distraction...

Kath
JaimeC

Post by JaimeC »

I wonder if this is why my son "bounces" his arm. He bends the elbow, sticks it up in the air and bounces his arm. His hand and wrist flop around. When I ask him what he's doing, he says he doesn't know.
Sheri, it does sound to me like he's getting some nerves waking up, or at least changing somewhat. I would think tylenol would be okay prior to surgery, but if your doc told you not to take any, definitely listen to him. I wonder if a cold or warm pack would be a distraction too. Have you tried "brushing" the hand? Get a rough washcloth or a very soft brush and rub it on the hand. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!
Jaime
Dean-na

Post by Dean-na »

I am 32 robpi & there are times that you have an itch & your skin is numb but underneath itches like crazy. He is probably way too young, but I even put icy/hot on me & it soothed it. It is probably from nerves too.

~Deanna
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I have this itch too and got it a lot following surgery.

For me, gently massaging the area gave the greatest relief. The itching is indescribable.

Nancy
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Itching is technically very very slight pain, when you scratch, you temporarily damage the nerves, it sounds like he's having nerves "wake up" but can't scratch where they are, try ice pressed against his palm to calm down the nerves. Also, applying ice to where you can't scratch, like under a bandage or around cuts and scrapes (or surgery sites) helps too.
Good luck!
Carrie